Part 1: Climate Change?

Date: June 23, 2135. It's been one year since my parents died and I was forced to move to the lower tier. Things started off pretty bad but I've gotten used to this way of life now. I do miss the cool air of the middle tier, and all the greenery added a pleasant aroma to everyday life. I know that holding on to the past isn't good for me, but when I think about how life was for me before and how it is now, it's difficult not to miss the old days. The one thing that keeps me going is the fact that the ICEBERG says that they have almost completed bringing back the ozone layer. Maybe in my lifetime I will be able to step outside without having to wear one of those clunky suits. Sincerely, Sabriel. P.S. Lucky is the only other thing that keeps me going.

       Sabriel slowly reached her hand toward the wooden bedside table and opened the drawer to put away the diary. She wiped the sweat off her face and got up from her desk to begin the day. 

       As she walked into the kitchen she noted that the thermometer said it was going to be 102 degrees today. A bit on the low side today. Sabriel slumped over to her food storage unit and pulled out a breakfast packet. With nothing else but herself, food, and a semi-positive mindset she started for the door. She was stopped before she could reach her hand out to grab the door handle and was greeted by her loyal golden retriever, Lucky. "Don't worry I'll be right home after work," she said as she kneeled down to pet Lucky on the head. "Take care of the place." Sabriel swung open the door and waved goodbye to her only friend and at once was swooped into the hustle and bustle of the cramped city streets. As the door closed she heard the click of the automatic lock giving her assurance her house was sealed. 

       From every corner of the street she could hear people talking. An old man talking to his grandson could be heard saying, "the sun isn't shining too bright through the Dome today, must mean things are going in the right direction."

       A group of women could be overheard gossiping, "...he used to live in the high tier but couldn't afford it anyone, lost all his money to gamble, or at least that's what I heard."

       Sabriel struggled to make her way through the crowd as she walked toward the Soil Collection Agency. I can deal with the heat down here, the one thing I hate is all these people.

       She made her way into the Collection Agency and was immediately put to work. She threw on her work attire and started for the huge door in the back of the lab. She was greeted by her lab partner Jacob and the both of them opened the door which led to the world outside the Dome. Even with the heat proof suits on, Sabriel and Jacob could still feel the singe of the sun. Sabriel grabbed a vile from her side pocket and inserted a sample of the earth into it. The two of them went back inside and took off their uniforms. They worked in silence as they studied the sample to check the levels of solar radiation. After hours of work they came to the same conclusion as yesterday, the levels of solar radiation in the soil sample are the same.

       "Perhaps tomorrow they will go down, the ICEBERG is almost done with their mission to reverse global warming," chimed Jacob.

       "Yeah, I hope you're right," mumbled Sabriel 

       Sabriel left the building and went back into the flow of people on the streets. She made her way to her house and opened the door. After stepping inside she was tackled to the ground by her loving dog. "Looks like someone missed me," she said. Before she could even settle herself, someone knocked on the door. Stuff like this is never good news. She peered through the peephole of the door and was flooded with excitement after seeing the face of a friend she once knew. Her hand quickly found the door handle and flung open the door. She embraced the person at the door while shouting, "Sam!"