His Mom

Arya:

Ishaan had left for the office, and I busied myself creating apparel designs for the new ad campaign on my laptop. The distant sound of Ishaan's mother summoning the maid for coffee reached my ears. Without hesitation, I headed to the kitchen, brewed a cup of coffee, and carried it to her room. I knocked gently.

"Yes, come in," she called.

I entered, and her eyes met mine.

"You? Why did you bring the coffee? After all, you're the boss of this house. If your husband finds out, he'll be hurt," Aunt remarked.

"I am not the boss, Aunty. I never sought this authority or power, but it's Ishaan's order. And I can't refuse my husband's words," I replied calmly, handing her the coffee.

"Your husband would get angry as you brought coffee for me and entered my room."

"Despite his feigned anger, I know how deeply he loves and cares for his family."

Aunt chuckled without further comment.

"May I ask you something?" I ventured, and she nodded.

"Today, I saw tears in your eyes while I fed Ishaan. It's evident that you love your son. But why did you punish him for your husband's mistakes? As a daughter-in-law, I shouldn't question you, but I want Ishaan to bask in his mother's love. I can give him wife's love, but I can never replace his mother. If I was wrong in making this attempt, I apologize for it but I want to see my husband happy."

"You talk so well. Even though you've completely surrendered to Ishaan as his wife, Arya, bearing his commanding nature, the courage and confidence of Dhairya still reside within you forever," Aunt said, leaving me both startled and unnerved.

I sat on the edge of the antique wooden chair, my heart racing. The room was dimly lit, the curtains drawn to keep prying eyes at bay. Aunty's revelation had shaken me to the core. The woman who had been my stern mother-in-law, the one who had scolded me for every little mistake, now sat across from me, unraveling secrets that had remained hidden and the plan which was unknown to me and Ishaan.

"Wha...What...did you say?" I stammered, my voice barely audible.

"I know everything about you, Dhairya," Aunty said, her eyes piercing. "But don't panic. You are the best wife to my son. Do you really think Ishaan married you because of fate? That's all planned by me and Anamika to unite you both. Because two broken souls make a great pair for sure—they know the pain of heartbreak."

My mind raced. I had always wondered why Ishaan had chosen me, a girl with a past I couldn't escape. But this revelation—that my marriage was orchestrated—left me breathless.

"But aunty..."

"Cool down, Arya," Aunty interrupted. "I just pretended to hate you because I didn't want anyone to know that I was behind this marriage. If Ishaan finds out, he might abandon you. He's that angry with me. Anamika and I sketched this because we knew what you did and why you did it. We know your love for Ishaan, and he will be happy with you. And the secret of Dhairya is safe with me. Ishaan will never know."

I glanced around the room, my eyes darting to the corners. "What if he's listening? Ishaan said the entire house is under surveillance."

"Arya, this room has no spy camera," Aunty assured me. "Relax."

"Aunty," I hesitated, "as you know everything, please tell me why you ill-treated Ishaan in his tender age. I don't know if I can be with him forever. My past sins might make him hate me. Before I leave, I want Ishaan to be happy with his family."