Reconciliation

Arya:

I rushed to Ishaan, finding him standing silently, his back turned toward me. My hand settled on his shoulder, and he slowly faced me. His eyes, red-rimmed and filled with pain, spoke volumes.

"Ishaan," I whispered, "it's okay. You didn't know the truth about your mom. That's why you were harsh with her. Please, don't hurt yourself."

I cupped his face, my thumb brushing against his forehead. "Take some time," I urged, "go talk to your mom. Everything will be alright."

His voice trembled as he spoke, anger and anguish intertwining. "How could they be this way, Arya? My dad, Dhairya, and Varun—how could they ruin lives without a shred of humanity? Are they even human? They deserve a fate as painful and tragic as the suffering they've caused."

Ishaan's pain cut through me. How could I make him understand that I wasn't evil? Not to the extent of ruining lives.

"Ishaan," I said softly, "we should never judge someone without knowing their side of the story. You assumed your mom was wrong until you learned the truth. Your dad, too, has his story—his reasons. It doesn't excuse his actions, but as a son, you deserve to know. For now, go and talk to your mom."

He looked at me, "Do you think she won't be angry with me? After how I treated her all these days?"

"No, Ishaan," I assured him. "When we love someone, anger fades. Go talk to her."

He nodded, taking hesitant steps away, then turned back and hugged me.

"Thank you," he murmured, his breath warm against my skin. "For coming into my life. You've given me what I lost. Never ever leave me."

I held him, tears unbidden. I didn't want to leave, but what if he decided to walk away? The fragile threads of our connection held us together, and I feared they could snap at any moment.

Ishaan stood before the door, and I stood beside him. His mom opened it, her smile warm and welcoming.

"Come here, Ishaan," she said, and he stepped inside. Silence hung heavy in the room.

"This dullness doesn't suit my son," Aunty declared, her voice firm. "His rude and commanding nature fits him well. My son is a king, and he should always be like that."

Ishaan embraced her, and my heart swelled with relief. His mom deserved this connection.

"Mom," Ishaan's voice trembled, and Aunty's eyes glistened with unshed tears.

Half of my mission was accomplished. His mom and siblings were closer now. His dad was in rehab. But there remained unfinished business with his aunt and uncle.

The next morning, the maids served breakfast to everyone except for his Uncle and Aunty.

"What is this, Arya?" His aunt's voice held indignation. "Why aren't they serving us?"

"Because," I replied calmly, "they serve those who deserve it. Ishaan works tirelessly at the office. Auntie tends to the garden, and Uncle is undergoing treatment. Abhi and Srusti focus on their studies. As for me, I manage Ishaan's ad agency and take care of this household. What about you both? Eating and rejoicing?"

Uncle's face reddened. "Ishaan, control your wife. She's too impolite. You will lose your reputation if you don't put her in control."

Ishaan chuckled. "My reputation isn't built on controlling her," he said. "It's about keeping her happy and peaceful. And I do it perfectly. She's the boss here. Listen to her if you want food and shelter—or the door is open for you to leave."

The room crackled with tension, but I held my ground.

"Sister, at least you teach some manners to your daughter-in-law," his aunt chided my mother-in-law.