1.4

⋆⁺₊⋆ ☀︎ ⋆⁺₊⋆

⋆⁺₊⋆ ☀︎ ⋆⁺₊⋆

"ᴵ ˢᵗⁱˡˡ ʰᵃᵛᵉ ˢᵒᵐᵉ ˢᵃⁿⁱᵗʸ ˡᵉᶠᵗ."

⋆⁺₊⋆ ☀︎ ⋆⁺₊⋆

Mel was at the counter, ordering their drinks. Gabby was watching her, brow furrowed in thought as she fiddled nervously with the sleeve of her top, taking in the sight of Mel. The cafe they were in was buzzing with life, chatter filling the air as she sat at the little table by the window alone, waiting for Mel to return with their drinks. She shifted and her foot knocked against the suitcase that lay under the table, the one that neither Mel or Gabby made and effort to address. 

"Here." Mel interrupted her thoughts with a cup of coffee. Mel always brought her coffee, black and with three sugars. 

"Thanks." Gabby smiled, biting down a grimace at the sight of the dreaded drink. "So, where are you going?" She asked, addressing the packed bags as a last resort to get the conversation rolling. 

"Up to Vancouver for a few days. My sister just had a baby." Mel explained and Gabby nodded. "A girl, they're still deciding on a name though, they're torn between Bexley and Hallelujah." Mel told her, biting back a laugh. 

"Wow." Gabby couldn't hold back a breathy laugh. "Certainly.. unique." She said and hid her smile by pretending to sip on the coffee, "But, seriously, they are pretty names. 

"They are. But her other daughter is called Jane, so I'm not sure how it all ties in." Melissa explained and the two laughed, drawing the attention of the elderly couple sat next to them. "So," Mel continued, "What's new with you?" 

"I live with my sister now, and her daughter. Mom and Dad thought I'd be happier there." Gabby told her. 

"Are you?" Melissa asked, 

"I'm not sure." Gabby shrugged, "I only moved in on Thursday, so I'm not used to it yet. Maybe when I get comfortable, I can revaluate." She explained, holding the mug in both hands. 

"How are your friends? How's Marcus doing?" Melissa inquired, recalling the sight of the tall boy with the nervous eyes. 

"He's good, yeah. I'm going to see him tomorrow, we've got a study session at school." Gabby told her. 

"School on a Sunday? Lucky you." Mel snorted, sipping her coffee. 

"I know, but there's only one teacher so it's mostly just students in our grade or the grade above, we just study in little groups or just mess around." Gabby explained, smiling softly at Mel's manner. The hour had passed quite swiftly and soon Mel only had half an hour to catch her flight, meaning the goodbye was rushed and yelled down the busy Hartford street as Mel was hurried into a cab and driven away, leaving Gabby in the street.