Because I Love You - Cloudtail x Kit!Reader

The art featured in this chapter was made by Dragonlordemily

I'm sorry if this chapter feels awkward ^^" I don't usually write these types of one-shots, but I'm definitely willing to give it a try! Oh, and this chapter contains mild angst!

Thank you for reading! Be safe ❤️

Requested by ADEEBAMASROOR

****

     Cloudtail hadn't expected to come across a lost kitten during his solo hunt, but he supposed stranger things had happened.

     The hunt had started off normally enough. He had managed to catch two mice and even a squirrel near the twolegplace fence and was turning around to head back home when he spotted a small (F/C) scrap of fur huddled beneath the shelter of a fallen oak, shivering in the chill of the leaf-fall air. At first, the kitten was reluctant towards him, but after he finally managed to coax him/her out of the decayed tree, he/she had finally relaxed and allowed Cloudtail to carry him/her back to camp.

"Oh, he/she is just darling!" Willowpelt cooed as the tiny scrap of (F/C) fur was placed next to her swollen belly. "Cloudtail, where did you find him/her?"

"By the twolegplace," Cloudtail replied, watching the tom-kit/she-kit burrow into Willowpelt's fur and latch onto her teat. "I couldn't find his/her mother anywhere."

Willowpelt's blue eyes widened in dismay. "Oh, poor thing," She murmured, wrapping her tail around the abandoned kit. "You must've been so frightened, all alone in the forest." Cloudtail felt a small pang of jealousy at how close the kit had become to the queen in such a short amount of time. He had found him/her, after all. Not only that, but he begun to feel attached to him/her.

"Well, I'll leave you to it," He meowed uncertainly, taking a few steps away from Willowpelt's nest. "Thanks." With that, he turned and slipped outside through the nursery entrance, letting out a slow breath and watching as it dissipated in the crisp air. He was certain he had never felt such a strong attachment to another cat before.

Over the course of leaf-fall, Cloudtail returned to the nursery every day with a piece of fresh-kill for Willowpelt in hopes to check in on the kit he had saved. He/She had grown big and strong, and the fluff behind his/her ears was beginning to fade. Willowpelt had allowed Cloudtail to name him/her, and after much thought, he had decided on (Y/N).

(Y/N) absolutely adored him and would race across the clearing whenever he returned to camp, bouncing on his/her paws and demanding to know everything he had done. Cloudtail would allow him/her to chase his tail and pounce on it, and before long, she was hunting leaves and scraps of moss as though they were mice.

The entire Clan had become accustomed to their close bond, and rumors had begun to arise that Firestar was planning to mentor (Y/N) to his/her rescuer when the time came. Cloudtail wanted that more than anything, and sure enough, the rumors had turned out to be correct.

     "Do you want to hunt some more?" Cloudtail meowed, casting a glance at the apprentice he had come to see as his son/daughter. "I heard there's a nest of squirrels over by Fourtrees!" He had been making a great effort to train (Y/N); something he didn't feel like any other warrior would've done.

     "Nah," (Y/N) replied, fluffing his/her fur against the gently falling snowflakes. "We've already caught three pieces of prey each. Can we just keep walking for a little while longer?" Cloudtail looked towards the horizon. The sun was still above the mountains, and although it was sinking fast, he decided spending a bit more time with his son/daughter couldn't hurt one bit.

     "Alright. But only on one condition," He meowed mischievously as he padded in front of the young (F/C) cat and rounded on him/her until he/she stopped walking.

     (Y/N) tilted his/her head slightly, raising an eyebrow. "What's the condition?"

     "You have to race me to the thunderpath!" Cloudtail exclaimed, twisting around and bolting off into the snowy forest with a boisterous laugh.

     "Hey!" He heard (Y/N) cry as he distanced himself further. "That's cheating!" He didn't slow down. In fact, (Y/N)'s frustration only made him want to run faster. He weaved nimbly through barren shrubs and leaped over fallen trees, holding his head high and relishing in the feel of the wind whipping through his whiskers.

     Rapid paw steps began approaching him from behind, and he cast a quick glance over his shoulder to see (Y/N) charging after him through the deep snow, his/her face twisted in concentration as he/she gained on him with each step. The acrid tang of the thunderpath bit Cloudtail on the tip of his tongue, and he stifled a gag. The sound of a monster roaring split the silent leafbare evening like cracking ice. Cloudtail skidded to a halt several fox-lengths away from the edge of the hard black surface, bracing for impact as (Y/N) came careening around the corner. His/Her (E/C) orbs widened as she saw him, but nevertheless, he/she couldn't stop in time and sent him sprawling into a bank of snow.

     "Dad!" (Y/N) cried, scrambling over to him. "Why didn't you move?" His/Her face was twisted with concern, and despite the ache in his flank, Cloudtail couldn't stifle a purr. (Y/N) was growing up fast.

     "If I'd moved—" He began, rising to his paws and shaking the snow from his pelt, "—you would've ran straight into the thunderpath. Making you knock me over was the only way to keep you safe." Cloudtail affectionately ruffled the apprentice's head fur with his paw.

     "You would put yourself in danger for me?" (Y/N) questioned, eyes widening in disbelief. "Why?"

     Cloudtail smiled softly, then leaned down and gently touched his nose to his/her forehead. "Because I love you." He purred.

     (Y/N) seemed to consider that for a moment, then, he/she lifted his/her head and touched her nose to Cloudtail's. "I love you, too, Dad." They stayed like that for a moment, just enjoying each other's warmth and listening to the sounds of the forest gradually die down as night fell upon them.

     Cloudtail pulled away, rising to his paws and nudging (Y/N) with his shoulder. "We should head home now," He meowed. "It's pretty late, and battle training starts first thing in the morning."

     (Y/N) seemed to perk up at that. "Okay!" He/She meowed. They began their walk back to camp, staying close to each other as they maneuvered their way through the dark forest. Once they reached camp and dropped their catches on the fresh-kill pile, (Y/N) was starting to yawn.

     "Looks like you need some sleep," Cloudtail purred, playfully flicking (Y/N)'s ear with the tip of his tail.

     "I sure do," (Y/N) mumbled, yawning again. "Goodnight, Dad. Thanks for saving me." He/She touched his/her nose to Cloudtail's once again, then padded to the apprentices' den and disappeared inside. Cloudtail stood there until he was certain he/she was safely inside, then turned and made his way into his own nest in the warriors' den. As he curled up and tucked his nose under his tail, he couldn't help but to smile. The tiny, helpless scrap of (F/C) fur he had saved nearly six moons ago had grown into a fine young cat, and he would do anything for him/her.

• The End •