Oxviola

Q: Of the stories you've written, which one is your favorite? Why?

A: There might be some recency bias on this, but I'm really into my ONC project this year, These Hills Called Home. As a story centred around a foster care leaver struck with sudden tragedy, it's challenged me to confront a lot of issues I had never handled before. Exploring these themes with the sensitivity they deserve has been difficult narratively and personally, and I think I'm a better writer for the experience. I've cried a lot more for it, that's for sure.

Q: Where do you find inspiration for your stories?

A: Like a lot of writers, I'm a bit of a magpie. Exciting, involving stories are what got me into writing in the first place, so whenever I need extra inspiration or motivation, I head back to the narratives I enjoy. I look into the dynamics, settings, even turns of phrase that I really admire and see what I can do to make those building blocks my own. Outside of fiction, I regularly brave the news cycle (as exhausting as it can be) and listen to stories from family, friends, and colleagues. Real life is often the best source of inspiration, even if you work with the purest, highest fantasy worlds.

Q: Do you plan much before you start writing?

A: I'm a pretty relaxed person when it comes to planning. I like to map out the central characters, the world they move through, and the general story beats before I begin. For specifics, I find I can imagine them much more clearly while I'm writing, so I tend to imagine each scene as a pre-planned canvas that I can fill in as I work. I do have to make a note of what happens in each chapter, though, so I can keep track of all the fun little surprises I've suddenly written in!

Q: What are your favorite kinds of stories and characters?

A: I have a soft spot for stories where the personal crises are as important as the wider conflict. Exploring the world is eye-catching, and exploring someone's world is even more compelling, not to mention a great way to let readers into the inner worlds of your story. As for characters, I don't think I'll ever get enough of seeing quiet, empathetic types fall in with the boldest, most fun-loving individuals around. The contrast creates so many bonding opportunities, what can I say?

Q: What do you hope readers will like most about your stories?

A: I try to fill my stories with vibrant, memorable personalities that are as layered as they are entertaining. By working with entertaining characters, I aim to make difficult subjects a little more approachable while remaining sensitive and respectful. I'm also hooked on vivid descriptions, so I hope those sections of my chapters never test a reader's patience too much!

From the Author

Believe it or not, I used to think that writing for NA audiences wasn't my thing. The first novel-length work I completed for Wattpad was a YA fantasy, and I was convinced that was my strength until I stumbled across the Open Novella Contest here on Wattpad. With a story idea I'd held for a long time and the encouragement of my lovely friends, I took a punt and wrote my first romance, Turn of the Tide. I was so surprised by how much I loved the writing process. It went on to shortlist in that year's ONC, and I still enjoy seeing the fun readers have with the story now. Sometimes, the best way to learn and grow as a writer is to experiment with something totally new to you. Don't be afraid to take a chance!

About the Story

Elise Penrose is helping out the romance writer, Florence Jago - but it's not what she expected. Especially when she finds out the writer's daughter is Cadence, her childhood best friend with a lingering resentment. Will everything fall apart? Or will it all fall into place? Find out in Chasing Memories on our Featured reading list.

Q: Which character is your favorite?

A: It has to be Cadence, Elise's childhood best friend. From their unexpected reunion, she's the driving force behind many of the story's most emotional moments. Always armed with a witty retort, Cadence's humour is the gateway to grappling with the dark issues she and Elise come across as they rebuild their relationship. She's exactly the kind of character I love to write in any story!

Q: Do you have a favorite scene?

A: Too many to count! I'll mention the moment Elise introduces Cadence to her roommate, Robin, in chapter 11. It's the first time Elise's past and present worlds meet, and it's a bigger mess than she could have possibly feared. After this scene, we're left in no doubt that the biggest challenge Elise faces isn't winning her way back into Cadence's life, but keeping the rest of her own life from falling to pieces.

Q: Was there a particular moment that inspired you to write this story?

A: I have to give all the credit to for this. As I mentioned before, my first ONC entry helped me realise that I both enjoyed writing romance and could come up with a good story in that genre. Chasing Memories is actually adapted from the original story idea that inspired Turn of the Tide, and after seeing that novella do well, I decided to double down and commit to a full novel.

Q: Chasing Memories is still ongoing. Do you have an idea of how close it is to being completed?

A: When I started, I thought I'd be right around the end of the plot by chapter 34. My ONC entry is my main focus for right now, but once that's done, I'd guess that I'll be finishing Chasing Memories offline within the next ten chapters. We're definitely in the story's home stretch, though I'm sure there'll be plenty more shenanigans with Elise and Cadence before we wrap things up. As to whether it'll be a happy ending or not, I'll just say that I think the story's going to end satisfyingly. Cade and Ellie – and their readers, of course – deserve nothing less!