Chapter 10: Holy Ground

October 21st 2023

Lisa woke up in the morning feeling a whirlwind of emotions after Camila's 'I love you' confession a few days ago. She hasn't admitted it to anyone yet, because she wasn't quite sure how to go about it.

Unable to contain her thoughts this morning, she immediately headed to Chamile's room to confide in her best friend. Lisa knew she didn't need to knock on order to enter Chamile's room. As soon as she opened the door, her best friend greeted her with a warm smile as she entered the room and plopped down on her bed facedown and groaned loudly on a pillow.

"Morning Lisa. What's on your mind?" Chamile asks, smiling at her best friend's antics.

Lisa gets up and starts to pace nervously, her word tumbling out in a rush. "Camila told me that she loved me and I've been keeping it in for a while, trying to digest it l, and I don't know what to do!" She says in one breath.

Chamile's eyes widen in surprise. "Wow, that's big news. How do you feel about it?" She asks, getting up from her bed to clam her best friend.

Lisa's brow furrowed, uncertainty clouding her expression. "I haven't had somebody love me like that in a while. What if I'm not ready?" She asks with uncertainty tinged in her voice.

Chamile cocked her head, her voice gentle but firm. "You were ready with Sabrina? What's different now?" She ask curiously.

Lisa's shoulders slumped, her gaze fixed on the floor. "I don't know...it's just...different." Lisa says, her voice hesitant.

Before Chamile could respond, the door swung open abruptly, as Dara, Sherie and Ludermary stumbled into the room, their arrival interrupting the serious conversation.

"Were you guys listening outside the door?" Lisa asked, raising an eyebrow, her suspicion evident.

The three girls exchange guilty looks, their denials coming quickly.

"Now way, Lisa! We just happened to come in at the same time." Dara replies, voice tinged in volume. Sherie and Ludermary nodded vigorously in agreement, but Lisa's skeptical expression remains.

"Hmmm, sure..." she replies, smirking at the three girls. Chamile chuckled, shaking her head at their friend's antics. "Y'all are horrible liars." She replied.

"Okay, fine! We were listening into the conversation." Ludermary admits.

Lisa sighed, realizing her friends had indeed been eavesdropping on her private conversation with Chamile. She shifted uncomfortable at under their questioning gazes, unsure how much to reveal about the current situation. Ludermary's admission broke the tension, slightly, prompting Dara and Sherie to press for answers.

"Lisa, what do you mean by different?" Sherie asks.

"Is this about Valarie?" Dara asks, her irritation flared as she jumped into the conversation.

Lisa hesitant, feeling the weight of their expectations and concerns. "It's not just Valarie... it's everything. I haven't let myself feel this way in a long time. What if I mess it up?"

Chamile, sensing her best friends vulnerability, spoke up with gentle reassurance. "Lisa, you deserve to be happy. Take your time, but don't let fear hold you back."

Sherie nodded in agreement. "Exactly. You don't have to have all the answers right now. Just follow your heart." She says, adding to the vulnerability of the moment.

Lisa looks off into the distance as she reflects on her friend's words of advice.

Stephen entered Jimmy's diner, his eyes scanning the familiar surroundings u til he spotted Valarie near the kitchen, her focus on retrieving an order.