Chapter 3

Messenger

cloud of smoke blocked the view of the God.

The God's dark eyes searched the fields for souls. But the God found none. Either they had fled from the destruction, or they had been pierced by the stalactites and was killed for good. Whatever the case was, the God decided it was not good.

Through the smoke, the God's eyes landed on a singular flickering light, as if someone had lit a torch in the Underworld. The God's eyes narrowed at the soul. Its light was not as strong as it used to be.

I pulled the bag out from under my bed and stuffed clothes into it. I could not be fast enough. My hands shook slightly as I stuffed the bag with clothes and other things, I might need on my journey to the Underworld — a dagger, ambrosia, nectar, a scarf, and a hat. I didn't know if it was cold down there. I could imagine it was since it was the land of the dead. I had just closed my bag when it knocked on the door to the Hypnos cabin. My siblings were sleeping peacefully in their beds, so of course, I went and opened the door to whoever wanted to interrupt their sleep.

When the door opened, I was met by grey eyes.

"Hello," Annabeth smiled at me.

I returned the smile quickly, "What's up?" I asked.

"Not much," she said and looked over my shoulder into the dark cabin. "Are you going somewhere?" She asked as she saw the bag on my bed.

I chuckled lightly. "No. Or well, yes. I think I am going to go home." I lied.

"Home?" She raised an eyebrow. "Are you sure that's a good idea? Especially when we are about to fight a Primordial."

I shrugged, "All we have to do is wait for Rachel to speak a new prophecy. In the meantime, I can go home."

She frowned, "You do know that I know about your mom... right?" She asked.

I sighed. "Sorry, it's just... I need to do something, and I can't tell you about it just yet."

"What do you mean? Are you leaving?" She asked.

"I... No. Well... Yes, but it's not forever." I tried to explain.

"But just until the war is over?" She crossed her arms and gave me a pointy look.

"No, not at all. I just need to do something. I promise that I'll be back before the fight starts." She raised an eyebrow at me. "I promise." I smiled.

She let out a huff of breath and nodded slowly. "Okay. But at least speak to Chiron first. He might want to know what you're going to do or where you're going. We don't need to know, but I'd like that Chiron knows at least."

"Okay." I nodded.

She returned the nod. "Good. Now go, before the rest of the camp wakes up." I gave her a curt nod and kissed her cheek before I grabbed my backpack. "Stay safe." She told me before I ran off to the Big House.

When I reached the door, I looked over my shoulder, to see Annabeth entering the Athena cabin. I lowered my hand from the doorhandle and moved around the Big House and marched up the hill to Thalia's tree.

If I told Chiron what I was going to do, he'd stop me. And I couldn't have that.

Honestly, when I said I'd go to the Underworld, I didn't know that the trip would be hopeless. When I had gotten to New York, after summoning the Gray Sisters and paid them to drive me to New York, I had leaped out of the car when they had stopped and had thrown up onto the street. It was not pretty. I felt dizzy. I wiped my mouth and grabbed my bag from the ground, the sisters had thrown out to me. I swung it over my shoulder and looked around. Now I just needed to catch a plane or train. I was sure Zeus wouldn't strike me out of the sky. But on the way home, we might need to take a train, as I wasn't so sure about Percy... Zeus might strike us out of the sky if one of us was a son of Poseidon. He had, after all, killed Percy once. I didn't need him to do it again.