Chapter 3: A Triumphant Return and A Heartwarming Reunion

December 9, 2006

3:00 PM

New York City, New York, United States

Zack inhaled the familiar scent of the JFK International Airport as he stepped onto the escalator. Just being there brought back many memories of the last time he was there. He remembered Justin's "allergies" flaring up, Max being too disbelieving to talk, Uncle Jerry and Aunt Theresa (not his real uncle and aunt but close family friends) crying unashamedly and Alex desperately trying not to cry but failing miserably and sobbing in his arms. He wiped a tear as he recalled the melancholy scene and smiled sadly to himself as he remembered his promise to the Russos (particularly Alex): 'I'll be back soon.'

It had been nearly 2 years since Zack had moved from ''The City that Never Slept'' to ''The City on a Hill''. Honestly, despite all his new friends, he still preferred New York City. He was eagerly looking forward to seeing Alex, and hoped she'd like the gifts and souvenirs he'd bought her. Sure, he'd had to spend all of his and Cody's pocket money, but it was worth every penny. He felt guilty and ashamed about falling in love with Maddie, and wondered about how the jealously possessive Alex would react to this. He knew Alex would be mad at him, even though he still loved her deeply. He distracted himself by helping carry the luggage he and Cody had insisted on bringing.

He caught sight of the Russos and Harper Finkle, standing in front of the board showing departures and arrivals. Cody and Carey noticed them too before any of the Russos saw the Martins. Alex turned around first, and when she saw Zack, she broke into the widest smile that Zack had ever seen as she locked eyes with him. Jerry and Theresa then turned and saw them, before they both enveloped Carey in a hug. Justin and Max rushed after Alex and Harper, enveloping the twins in a hug. 

Zack felt safe, protected, warm and loved: he felt like he was back home. He was, as he confessed to Alex, insecure about his place in his own family. His father, Kurt, was always on the road. His mother, Carey was almost always busy, and when she wasn't she doted on Cody, the ''favorite child'', with Zack nearly always getting attention only if he was being scolded. Every other adult in the family also showered their attention on Cody along with most of their love, leaving Zack feeling lonely. He'd fit into the Russo family so easily because they talked to him, comforted him and praised him in addition to scolding him, while Zack's aunts and uncles only ignored and scolded him.

Zack knew his mother did praise him, but he was jealous of Cody, whose talents weren't dismissed but lauded by the rest of the family. It was no wonder that he loved the Russos. Zack had suppressed all these insecurities as he grew up, but after he and Alex began dating, these instances became more pronounced, until he'd broken down in tears and revealed everything he felt on the matter to Alex.  She had hugged him and told him, 'You can always count on me to listen to you and respect what you have to say.' He had smiled at her, thanked her, talked to her and then cuddled with her on the couch for an hour before they fell asleep. 

They pulled away at the same time and grinned. They all chorused, 'I missed you so much. I'm glad we're back in the same place.' to each other, before they split into two groups: Harper and Justin began talking to Cody about Science and Experiments, while Max and Alex grabbed Zack from both sides, as if he was under arrest, and dragged him to the flying taxi (Cab 804) which was now very much grounded (intentional pun) and magically expanded to fit 9 people. Once they got in the third and back row, Max hugged Zack and said, 'I'm glad you're back, Bud. I missed you.' Zack smiled and hugged him back. 'I missed you too, Max.' was all Zack said.

'What about me?' Alex innocently asked as she batted her eyelashes and pouted at him, with one hand twirling her hair and the other playfully moving her fingers up his arms to his shoulder. Zack chuckled and embraced her, kissing her firmly on the lips and pulled apart after a couple of minutes because he needed air. 'You still haven't answered my question.' Alex teased playfully, causing Zack to respond, 'Of course I missed you. How could I not miss my first and true love?' Alex retorted: 'Still as cheesy as ever, I see.' Zack bowed and said 'Guilty, dear Lady.' which was all he had as a defense to her accusation. Max remarked: 'It seems that Romeo and Juliet really are back together.'

Zack and Alex turned and looked at Max in pure shock, speechless at his reference to the legendary play by William Shakespeare. Max enlightened them: 'I'm not as naive as I have you think. I pretend to be stupid to make people underestimate me. Besides, I know you two lovebirds won't suffer the same fate as Romeo and Juliet. Alex would never let that happen.' Zack laughed and pulled the two of them into a hug.

 As their parents and ''The Three Nerds'' (Alex's name for them) returned and the car moved off, Zack looked around at the people he considered as part of his family and smiled. As they all teased each other, exchanged witty banter and sharp-witted quips, he felt a strong sense of belonging. These were the people he knew would always be there for him and make him feel happy, warm, safe and loved: they made him feel at home.

Zack gazed at Alex and, for the first time in a long time, couldn't stop himself from smiling. His heart was singing, Fate and The Almighty were merciful, and everything was going his way. 'What are you thinking about?' Alex asked him. 'About never taking all of you for granted.' was his response. He rested his shoulder on hers and eventually, the two fell asleep due to the rhythm of the car's movement. Both of them would be carried into the Russo family loft and laid on the couch to sleep. Zack was here: he was finally at home.