The Surprise - Thrushpelt x Female!Reader

The art featured in this chapter was made by crowcities

Hello, everyone. Yes, I'm currently experiencing a personal tragedy, but life will still go on, so I'm continuing to work on requests. Thank you all for your support during this difficult time.

Requested by Candie_09

****

     You loved the way the sun settled right on top of the oaks as the day began to draw to a close. Evening was always your favorite time of the day, if not for only one reason.

     "(Y/N)!" A familiar male voice called from the other side of the clearing. You glanced up to see the sandy gray tom you spent all of your time thinking about trotting towards you, a wide, silly grin plastered on his muzzle.

     "Hi Thrushpelt," You greeted him in a purr as he reached you. "How was your patrol?"

     Thrushpelt shook his head in exasperation, seemingly struggling to rid himself of his own smile. "Boring as usual," He replied, sheepishly meeting your gaze with his own. "You know how it goes. All patrols are the same." He averted his gaze, nervously shuffling his paws and smirking all the while.

     You raised an eyebrow. "Is everything okay?" You questioned coolly. "You seem...fidgety."

     "O-oh, m-me?" He stammered, his grin faltering as he realized what you had just asked him. "I-I'm good! Great, actually. Never better!" He smiled again, his nose deepening in color just a bit. You just blinked, choosing to brush it off as fatigue catching up to him. I've seen weirder behaviors.

     "...Okay," You meowed, flashing him a small smile of your own. "I was just going to go on one last hunt before it gets dark, and I was wondering—"

     "Of course I'll come!" The warrior beamed, nearly bouncing on his paws. You had to fight a battle to keep yourself from bursting out laughing. He was like an apprentice being chosen for a Gathering.

     "Alright," You purred, feeling your heart flutter as your gaze fell upon him. "Let's go." You both padded out of camp side-by-side, your flanks nearly brushing with each step you took. It almost felt as if your paw steps were in sync, and you weren't even trying. You cast a glance over at your Clanmate, only to see that he had done the same, and you were now gazing into each other's eyes. You both startled slightly and uttered bashful apologies, then broke out into laughter.

He's such a mouse-brain, You thought affectionately. How am I not supposed to adore him?

A warm, sweet scent drifted across the evening breeze. You paused, your heart quickening as you saw a small brown rodent scurry across the worn path in the grass and scoop a beech but up in it's tiny paws. You cast an excited glance at Thrushpelt, then dropped into a crouch and began slowly creeping forwards. The mouse continued to nibble, unaware of you steadily approaching it from behind. You bunched your muscles and prepared to spring, but a flash of sandy-gray fur shot out in front of you. You reeled back in shock, but before you had time to react, Thrushpelt was turning to face you with the mouse in his jaws.

"Hey!" You retorted playfully, marching toward him. "That was my catch! Don't you have any manners?" You swiped lightly at his ear, a blow which he dodged.