Chapter one

As I walked through the smooth cobblestone streets of my small village, the sky above me flashed. I may have been able to survive three months alone, yet I hadn't planned on getting absolutely soaked anytime soon, since this was my only clean dress. I looked down and studied the intricately woven fabric. It was the last dress my mother ever made for me, and I had not intended to gave it ruined by some unexpected rain.

Walking a bit further, I spot a small fountain in the middle of a courtyard. Deciding it would be best to get cleaned up before heading for shelter, I kneel down next to the water and stick my hands under. I splash some of the cool liquid on my face and open my eyes once more, glaring at my reflection. My wavy, light brown hair framed my face in messy locks. Sea blue eyes looked back at me drearily, my eyelids drooping ever so slightly from my lack of sleep.

I get up and hear great thunder booming in the distance. I run for the hospital, for I know that I will always have a place to stay there. The head nurse, Valentina, adores me as if  I was her own daughter, letting me sleep in her office most nights. Valentina had lost her mother, like me, and had decided to do all the nice things for other people she wished she could have done for her mother. I could never be grateful enough for her kindness, as it stretches further than even I can reach.

I step in the threshold just as the first few raindrops began to fall. I look around the main room, past the large desk, and I spot Valentina in her all-white nurses uniform. She was a very beautiful young woman, just a little more than twenty, with her shoulder length blonde hair knotted into a tight bun at the base of her neck. Her amber eyes connected with mine, and she excused herself from the colleague she had been talking with. She strode over to me, a large smile plastered on her face, and wrapped me in a hug.

She pulled away and studied my face. "I haven't seen you in what seems like forever!" She exclaimed.

I shrugged. "Not much reason to come back." The truth was, I never wanted to overstay my visits, seeing as Valentina would have to work somewhere else while I was asleep in her office.

"Well, don't be afraid to ask, dear." She said as she walked over to her office on the far side of the room, beckoning me to follow. I sighed and joined her.

Valentina's office was perfect, but simple. A small desk sat in the corner of the room, a filing cabinet and bookshelf to it's left. In the corner opposite to the door, there was a cot with an embroidered blanket sitting folded neatly on top.

"Will you sleep now?" Valentina asked. "You may stay up, if you would like."

I waved my hand. "No, thank you. I think I'll go to bed now."

"Alright, dear." She walked to the door. "Would you like the lights off?"

"Yes, please. " I responded. She was about to continue with her nursing duties, when I asked a question that had been burning with me the whole day.

"Valentina?" I asked softly through the darkness. "Why did my father abandon me?"

Valentina's silhouette stiffened. Her eyes glistened in the moonlight coming from a window.

"I, for one, have absolutely no idea Klara. Perhaps, he could only afford to take care of himself. Perhaps, he couldn't handle the jealousy that came from hearing your beautiful singing." She told me quietly.

I giggled. My singing, being the reason for his departure? What an idea. Though, perhaps a part of what Valentina had said had reasoning. Had he abandoned me, his life, for a new job in a new place that could meet his needs? I was suddenly furious with him. What kind of father would leave a fourteen year old girl to fend for herself, no food or even a goodbye from the only other person I had had in my life. That had been three months ago. 

I looked up at Valentina, my eyebrows knit together. "How could I have that stupid? All of the incidents leading up to it, and I hadn't even noticed. Being left at the park when I was five, the grocery store when I was eight. It was bound to happen, he was bound to realise he never wanted me. And that time apparently came sooner, rather than later." I said, my eyes brimming with tears.

Valentina's eyes were filled with sadness. "Let's try and make light of it, dear. Nothing good ever comes from seeing the worst in situations. I speak from experience." She closed the door softly, and left me laying there, pooling in my own thoughts.

AUTHOR'S NOTES:

Hey you guys!!! So, this was my first fanfic, and I am definitely trying my best. I have always loved the sound of music, and I love writing so why not put the two together? Anyways, I will try and write as much as my schedule allows me, and that's only if you guys want more, so tell me in the comments what you think, or if you have any feedback or suggestions, let me know. Thanks!

~Author

~808 words