Chapter One

Stephanie stood perplexed and shocked as she watched her father die before her very eyes killed by the man they all trusted. But taking her mind back to the past incidents she couldn’t help but blame her father for his misfortune because he trusted the wrong man.Mr Andrew.J.Kalu was the financial secretary in the central bank of Nigeria and he had a man he trusted, a man who was more than a friend to him, he took him as a brother because they grew up together Henry  was a staff and a lieutenant for the sss agency but he believed that the nation was not treating the working citizens well, they were being owed a lot of money by the nation and yet they were treated with scorn and brutality, so  Henry and Andrew had this similar hatred for the nation and they thought  the nation needed no sympathy because the leaders were corrupt and selfish  so they decided to make adequate use of their positions .Andrew was the one next to the national loot so he was slowly making adequate use of his position in the bank; at the end of the month he was able to steal over 2.5 billion naira from the central bank of Nigeria. He planned with his friend to elope with their families because very soon the bank will get to know about what he had done with his friend, Henry asked to meet up with him with the money and strictly asked him to come with nobody but Andrew’s persistent daughter Stephanie was bugging her dad as she was the only child and had lost her mother when she was two, she was currently ten years and was a daddy’s girl. Daddy couldn’t say no to the persistent little girl and he didn’t see his daughter as an obstruction to the meeting they were going to have so he decided to take her along but he told her to stay in the car and not to come out. As he entered, his little girl came running to him and he told her that he would soon be back and he gave her a warm embrace and told her to go back to the car. Little did he know that, that would be the last time he would see his little girl again, little did he know that he would be slaughtered by the one he called his best friend.That was it, Stephanie ran into the building as soon as she heard her father scream on getting there she saw her father lying in the pool of his blood and Henry standing beside him with a gun, Henry could not control his greed he wanted it all to himself he wanted his family to have the best of life he thought that Andrew didn’t need money for anything he only had a daughter and he always asked himself what was a daughter compared to the two sons he had? That was what pushed him to killing his own friend and brother from another mother, and then his countenance changed immediately his eyes met with Steph’s, Stephanie eyes was filled with tears as she stared into the scary eyes of Henry, then Henry’s voice broke the long silence dido get her, he ordered one of his boys then dido signalled the other two standing beside him and they both ran after the little girl. Stephanie took to her heels,  she ran as fast as her little legs could carry her but the men seemed to be getting closer, they got a hold of her, just as they were about to take her back they heard a gunshot, a young boy came out with some men, dido and his men seized breath, their hearts sank and they felt as if they were in the midst of hungry lions ready to be devoured, they did not need a Soothsayer to tell them that they were danger; they dropped the girl and took to their heels. Steve stared at the little girl who seemed to be his age mate but he quickly guessed that he would be about three years older, steph didn’t know what to feel, scared or thankful but the little boy gave her a warm smile then she felt she was safe. They took her back to their home, to where they stayed, to the place that was always alive no matter the situation or time, a place where the good or bad coexist, the ghetto.