|| Chapter One: The Awakening ||

With a heavy breath, Avilla stepped into her high school. It wasn't long before those group of jerks started causing a ruckus, so she made her first step to her locker. You can't exactly go to class without the basics, right? As she was walking to her locker, she almost slipped on spilt water on the hallway floor that someone had left on the floor. As she was straightening her skirt and about to grab her bag, she noticed someone was already doing it for her. It is Jake, the main leader of the group who bullies her. "Oh, uhm, thanks..." She says as she awkwardly takes her books from him and approaches her locker. After the combination was dealt with, she switched her homework books for the ones she needed for class and headed upstairs. When she sat down, the group of her bullies sat down across the classroom. They giggled and looked back and forth between her and their friend group. She felt uncomfortable knowing they were talking about her, but she knew the teachers wouldn't do anything no matter how many times she told them. Once the teacher walked in, she shut the class up and started the continuation of the lesson from the previous day. As Avilla was trying to pay attention to her notes, she could still feel their giggles and stares, leaving a shiver down her spine. She raised her hand quietly and asked "Mr. Johnson, can I please go to the washroom?". The teacher lets out a heavy sigh, "Go ahead, just be quick.". She lets out a small sigh of relief when she hears the teacher's answer. She quickly stands up and runs to the washroom. In the washroom, she opened a stall to find a man sitting in there... it was Jake? "You shouldn't be in here. This is the girl's washroom...". He stands up from the toilet and shoves her onto the floor, fists ready to strike, "I was waiting for you, Avilla. Now then, let's see if you really are the chicken the school recognizes you for.". Before he had a chance, loud sirens started going off, blinding their sound of hearing. They ran outside to figure out what was going on to found the whole city covered in smoke from head to toe, buildings falling apart and collapsing onto nearby citizens and cars. An army truck quickly hopped out and scooped them up, not bothering to communicate as they drove through the town with gas masks. Eventually, they were in the middle of nowhere and spotted a large bunker underground. They dashed towards the bunker at the speed of light, hoping to live through this newly created apocalypse. Once they enter, they are greeted by a hallway of guards and top-notch security. They slowly walk down the hallway, intimidated by the guard's stares. At the end of the hallway, there's a large and thick metal door in front of them. It automatically opens from someone controlling it from the other side and they enter. The bunker is the layout of an apartment; a small and slightly dirty carpet with a clutter of doors down the hallway. They start walking down the hallway until they hear a big 'BANG' somewhere in the bunker. Guards and security run to the scene and find a person slouched on the ground with long parasite-like worms coming out of their mouth and nose. The guards quickly grab the possibly ill person and take them to another room with thick metal walls. She looks over at Jake, as stunned as he is. "I don't think this place will be safe for long," she said, "I'll just... stay in my room." she walked down the hall and into a suspected empty room before closing the door and locking it. Jake scoffs, "As always, running from her problems," he laughs, "Useless in a situation like this." he rolls his eyes and sits in the lounge and picks up a magazine. Hours pass and everyone, except the security and the guards, are asleep. It was quiet in the halls, mainly empty except for the slight decorations or furniture depending on on where you looked. The hallway where the ill person was is blocked by cones and bars, and the parasites are going for testing.

slight movement

...

footsteps...
Outside the door...

.

Who or what is it?

Avilla roused out of bed and looked towards the door. The hallway light was on, why? Lights are supposed to be turned off during the night, right...? She moves slightly and sees a shadow of movement in the crease of the doorway. Maybe it's a guard? Maybe someone inspecting the room? A security check? She gets out of bed and walks towards the door, leaning slightly as she looks through the small peephole in the door.

...