douze

23rd January 2023
03: 00 P.M.
Sunshine Public School

“What do you mean, she's missing?” Vedika raised her voice that echoed through Miss Edwards's cabin. “Miss Edwards,” she leaned forward and lowered her voice, “She is a killer who had murdered three teens. A cold-blooded murderer is the student of your school. Fuck all these. How could you even be so irresponsible towards a student? What if someone had tipped her off and she escaped?”

“Miss Shergill, I'm extremely sorry for what had happened, but still…” Miss Edwards paused to take a breath, searching for apt words. “I'll take the responsibility. I'll help you find Betty, no matter what.”

Sighing out as if trying to wind up the argument mode, Vedika questioned, “We need to search for her at the school.”

***

23rd January 2024
05: 00 P.M.
Sunshine Public School

“We couldn't find her anywhere, Commander,” Lora murmured with her head hung low.

The students were walking out of their classrooms to their houses while Vedika's team were standing in the centre of the school playground with Miss Edwards and Mr Green.

“Ugh, fuck it! Did you ask her classmates?” Vedika shifted her focus to Mr Green.

“I did. And, the last person to see Betty was her friend, August Hawkins. She said that Betty walked out of the classroom out of nowhere. No explanation,” Mr Green narrated.

“Shit,” Vedika sighed and gripped her knees while panting. “We have let a murderer escape. Seriously?”

“Maybe, you can search for her at her house,” suggested Miss Edwards.

“Yeah, but, are you sure she's not here anywhere?” Vedika looked up with her head tilted to her right.

“Yes. A hundred per cent,” affirmed Miss Edwards.

“Okay,” sighed Vedika and walked away from the Sunshinians with her team.

On the other hand, a silhouette walked out of the secret exit with an unconscious 50 kg-heavy girl, also known as Betty, on their shoulder.

Placing her delicately on the boot of the car, they walked to the driver's seat and gestured at the driver to give something.

The driver, after rummaging through their purse, took out two hundred-dollar notes and extended them to the person outside, their gaze fixed on them as if they were expecting them to say something.

“I won't tell this to anyone,” said the person outside, as if on cue, and walked away from the car which had started to drive away already.

***

24th January 2024
Midnight
Capshaw, Alabama

Betty, waking up to the sound of marching boots that echoed in her ears, tried to open her eyes but couldn't do anything. Every sense of hers worked except her mind and her eyes.

A random uncomfortable and sticky thing stuck on various parts of her body helped with causing goosebumps all over. As she felt the same over her eyebrows, she realised that she was wide awake, but the view was closed with duct tape. She felt her skin brush against a sturdy thing, which made her feel like she was naked. She heard two voices in the room and felt her heart thump at it.

“Come on. Stop brooding around. This is our last murder. Then, you can go anywhere you wish to. Co-operate and co-ordinate with me for one last time,” said a voice.

“Yeah, but… At the end of the day, I think we're no different from this criminal. For what we're doing,” said another one in a much softer tone.

“I agree. But, she killing Alex is diametrically opposite to what we're doing,” said the first person.