Prologue

Flapper soared high above the marsh, his eyes sharp and alert. Calm water ripples came below as groups of crocodiles sunbathed on the dappled shores. Everything was calm, but there was a slight disruption in the air as though torrential rain was approaching. His stiff black feathers kept him above the delta, the air flowing in a warm updraft.

The sky is beautiful as always, he thought, still noticing the dark gray clouds gathering in the left corners of his vision. Heushed the thought of a large storm away, swooping under the safety of the lazy mangrove trees, stuck in a tangle of roots near the bottom. The branches were less complicated. Safer.

"KUK-KUK-KUK CAW!"

Flapper's wings flapped automatically, along with thousands of others. He could hear the rapid beating of wings throughout the swamp as every bird in the everglades took to the air and started in the direction of the Great Tree. There hadn't been a Flock Meeting in at least three years, and that was because there hadn't been anything to discuss. He only recognized four birds in the Storm of the Skies- his friend Skipper, a younger Anghinga who was very agile and lively, Swimmer, a jumpy older bird, Pecker, and wise old Snapper. He could feel the airy currents rippling through his mess of feathers and allowing him to swoop over the seemingly endless landscape of mud flats.

Finally the Great Tree appeared far away, looming in the distance like the great sacred landmark that it was. He saw a small flock of snail kites advancing to the lead- most of them had been to a Flock Meeting before and knew the position of their destination. They seemed confident.

Suddenly everything went silent, and all the squawks and chatter were cut off. They were steadily nearing the great tree, and it was... peaceful. For a few moments every wingbeat thrummed at once, and all limbs moved in utter unison. Flapper could feel a strange energy pulsing inside of his chest, a new energy that pumped his wings faster along with the others. He didn't know why, but he knew that something was approaching from behind, though he didn't feel like turning around. It was a sickening, dry feeling, and his throat was parched by the time his flock reached the colossal oak. The branches spread out in several directions, overlooking the glade as if it was watching to make sure that everyone was at peace.

Flapper landed near the canopy, spreading his wings out so he could stay on top of the swaying leaves. Swimmer landed silently beside him, his talons clutching an old wiry branch that was creaking under his weight. His black eyes conveyed anxiety. He knew something that Flapper somehow did not.

"Greetings, Birds of Everglade!" A voice boomed across the tree, calming the dancing leaves. All attention was drawn to an osprey of vast size, who was hovering over the heart of the tree with his beak firmly shut and his eyes watering. Flapper knew this was Mangrove, one of the Five Guardians of the Great Tree. "I have come with a warning."

Ripples of shock ran through the crowd, but Flapper stayed quiet because he noticed Swimmer was. His feathery gray neck was pulled back in distress, his brow furrowed as he gazed across the area.

"There is a danger coming here soon, which means we need a Shifter. I need all wings open to find this hero." Current paused, blinking silently. "Are you all with me?"

All of the flock leaders dipped their heads sadly and started to shimmy forward, including Snapper. His bright yellow beak opened with a crying call, along with the sorrowful agreement of every flock leader in the Everglade.

"The spoonbills agree!"

"The snail kites agree!"

"The catbirds agree!"

"The buntings agree!"

"The pelicans agree!"

"The vultures agree!"

"The cormorants agree!"

"The egrets agree!"

"The sparrows agree!"

"The ibis agree!"

"The heron agree!"

"The anhingas agree!"

The last wail resounded from Snapper. He sounded sad, as though he was recalling a dreadful memory or nightmare. Maybe he had been there the last time there had been a call for a Shifter. He was an elderly bird, after all.

"You are all dismissed! Keep those eagle eyes peeled for any suspicious activity involving different animals!" She called after them as every bird scurried softly away and off into the twilight sky. All of the anhingas present in the meeting landed on a small swampy tree and huddled up together to discuss the matters of the strange Flock Meeting hosted by the ospreys.

"Swimmer...." Flapper whispered, turning toward his shuddering friend. "Back there, you seemed nervous. Is everything alright?"

Swimmer's feathers were winding around him in the tough, spinning gale, wrapping his wings around his body and ducking his head down under the flurry of black. Skipper looked seriously concerned, but he didn't dare squawk a word, and Snapper didn't convey any emotion but instead stared off into the distance, vacant. Pecker looked worried like Skipper, but not as much.

"Nothing's wrong!" He exclaimed with a huff. "I'm fine! Go away! Leave me alone!"

Then he grabbed a couple of leaves in his yellow fist and flapped angrily off into the distance before any of them could follow, his S-shaped neck stretching toward the fading stars scattered across the indigo sky.

"How strange," Pecker said with a small frown, turning toward the others. "I wonder what he's up to."

"I hope he's okay," Skipper said, swallowing the lump in his throat and observing Swimmer's flight patterns. Flapper felt a pain in his chest, and he knew what he wanted to keep in his heart. Curiosity is swarming me, he thought. And the only way to stop it is to get answers.

He puffed out his chest, spreading his wings in the sunlight. This received cautious glances from the rest of the anhingas, but he no longer cared because the pride swelled in his heart and determination filled his mind.

I am going to find the Shifter.