Samson's Birth

In the time of the Israelites' disobedience to God, the Philistines ruled over them for forty years. In the town of Zorah, there lived a man named Manoah and his wife, Hazella, who had no children. One day, the angel of the Lord appeared to Hazella and told her that though she was barren, she would conceive and bear a son. The child was to be set apart as a Nazirite, dedicated to God from birth, and he would begin to deliver Israel from the Philistines.

Hazella told her husband of the angel's visit and instructions. Seeking confirmation, Manoah prayed to God, asking the angel to return and instruct them on how to raise the child. God listened to Manoah's prayer, and the angel visited Hazella again while she was in the field. She hurried to fetch her husband, and together, they met the angel.

Manoah asked for guidance on how to raise the child and what to do once he was born. The angel reiterated the instructions given to Hazella: the child was to abstain from wine and strong drink, refrain from cutting his hair, and be dedicated to God as a Nazirite.

Grateful for the angel's visit, Manoah offered a sacrifice. As the flames rose from the altar, the angel ascended in the fire, leaving the couple in awe. They realized they had seen God and feared for their lives, but the angel assured them they would not die.

In due time, Hazella gave birth to a son, as the angel had foretold, and they named him Samson. The Spirit of the Lord began to stir in him, preparing him for the great tasks ahead. And so, the story of Samson, the mighty judge of Israel, begins.