ꕤ prologue ;

ellie had imagined her death quite a bit, though she never thought it would be like this. her original assumption was that she would die of starvation. running away from her family and trying to stick it out in the streets of new york was a stupid idea, she knew that. the germana household was cold and unforgiving and would never let her back, even if she got down on her knees and begged for their forgiveness. after all, she was a stupid girl, and stupid girls deserved to live with their stupid decisions.

after meeting jojo, her idea of death changed.

joseph joestar had already looked death in the eye and walked away untouched. ellie was amazed that such a man existed (if he could even be called a man, he was only a year older than her after all). he was strong and courageous and without him, she never would have learned about the existence of the masks and the pillar men and dio, the man who set off this chain of events. jojo had pulled her out from those dirty alleyways and thrown her into a life she never could have imagined for herself.

she followed him to rome for reasons she couldn't even fathom. perhaps it was the idea of danger, the thrill of abandoning her old life and rushing into trouble, that was attractive to her. ellie ignored the not-so-little part of her that was screaming to run away and leave him behind and kept close to him.

the encounter with caesar left her with a gaping hole in her chest. this hamon, whatever it was, was potentially the most amazing thing ellie had ever come face-to-face with. jojo and caesar were on a whole other level, one ellie couldn't ever hope to reach even if she trained with them. defeating the pillar men was of utmost importance.

lisa lisa took pity on her. when she wasn't busy borderline torturing the boys, she helped ellie harness her inner abilities. her hamon was strong, though it drained her in a way it didn't drain her friends. nobody could make sense of it. for the millionth time in ellie's life, she felt like there was something seriously wrong with her, that she was broken in some way and couldn't ever be fixed.

once again, the concept of death twisted itself in her head. she felt it deep in her core: hamon would be the end of her.

eventually, the journey led them to switzerland, where caesar was struck down by wamuu. ellie had experienced much loss in her life, but the grief that washed over her was enough to paralyze her. jojo was there, a strong rock as always, wrenching her from the heavy waves that crashed over her body. they would end this tonight and get revenge for caesar.

jojo took down wamuu with far more kindness than ellie would have given. she wanted to see him suffer, to feel the same pain that she felt, but jojo numbed his pain and served him a merciful and honorable demise. despite how she felt, she knew that it was a fitting end for him.

lisa lisa approached her battle with kars with courage, unwavering in her hesitation. ellie admired her immensely and silently wished her good luck. however, nothing would go to plan. kars was a dirty trickster and wouldn't fight fair as he had promised. lisa lisa's life hung in the balance and jojo was yet again forced to step up and battle.

after the arrival of the germans, ellie's world began to blur. she couldn't recall how she made it onto the plane with jojo, dreadfully watching kars make his way after them. blood (lisa lisa's?) stained both their clothes, though ellie had no idea how any had gotten on her in the first place.

then there was the volcano. kars didn't die. jojo's plan failed. he was wounded, badly, with no hamon left to use. it was up to ellie to stop kars from taking over the world. but how? how could she pull off a stunt like this? her skills were nowhere near jojo's- she didn't stand a chance. she had to make a sacrifice.

ellie couldn't explain what would happen, or how it would happen, or even why it would happen, but she knew that she wouldn't be returning to new york with jojo. her journey would end here. this was not a death that she would wish on anyone, not even her father, but it was happening and there was nothing she could do about it.

the last thing she saw was the volcano erupting before her vision faded to black.