chapter two, a little pathetic

when they reach the police station and clarissa holds the door open for the team, gideon is the first one through the door, thanking her, then he's followed by hotch who does the same, spencer who just gives her a firm nod before derek walked through the door and she followed after him, shutting the door.

"this is special agent gideon, special agent morgan, our expert on obsessional crimes, very special agent mae, an expert on organized crimes, and special agent reid." hotch led them into the station, gideon ahead of him while the others stood behind him like they were kids waiting for their dad to acknowledge them and he had.

"dr. reid." gideon looked over his shoulder and hotch nods, "dr. reid, our expert on pretty much everything and after two years of busting my butt in this office, i hope you remember me." hotch garners a few laughs, a few people remembering him as he looks to morgan, clarissa and spencer as they surpass him, now standing between him and gideon, someone even offers clarissa their seat, she declines politely.

"he's willing to travel with the bodies." gideon's voice makes them turn to him as he stares ahead at the map in front of him, "then he drives a vehicle capable of concealing one."

"1 in every 7.4 drivers in seattle own an suv" spencer spoke up from his spot next to clarissa, "explorers with tinted windows." morgan notes. "they rate higher with women."

"how do we know it's his car? ted bundy drove a vw bug?" they were talking so quickly that they almost lost clarissa but she managed to keep up.

"what about a jeep cherokee?" hotch asks and clarissa turned to look at him. "jeeps are more masculine." spencer speaks up, making clarissa chuckles besides, it gains gideon's attention.

"something you find amusing, agent mae?" she cocked her head up to look at him, "well, reid is right, a jeep is conventionally more masculine which is why i would find it a bit odd for our unsub to have one, he's clearly lacking that masculinity, or he thinks he does so if he had one, it would just be a little pathetic." clarissa goes on to explain, not seeing the way spencer reacts to her words.

"she's right, the wrong words but right." gideon goes back to the murder board, "when are we meeting with your task force?" he asked the captain, his answer making morgan raise his head.

"an accurate profile by four o'clock?"

"not a problem, we'll start at the crime scene." gideon walked away with morgan on his heels while hotch told clarissa and spencer to stay where they were. they obeyed the order, no questions asked before they were moved to a room to work in with spencer sitting on one of the chairs at the table and clarissa sitting on the table itself.

"do you think i'm pathetic?" spencer had been wondering for at least an hour before he brought it up with the girl who had her face in a case file. they two didn't talk much and when they did, she was the one that initiated the small talk. "what?" she looked down at him, placing her file on her lap, she was sitting with her legs crossed so it slid down on the table.

"do you think because i'm not conventionally masculine, i'm pathetic?" he asked as he looked up at her, he was partially right, with his sweaters and lanky posture, in society's standards he wasn't very masculine but clarissa knew masculinity was more than muscles and testosterone. "well," she dragged the last letter a bit as she reached over to open her file again, sensing the conversation would be over soon, "do you strangle women and throw their bodies in ditches?" he frowned at her question.

"no,"

"then you have your answer." she went back to her case, and he stared at her for a minute, for some reason he cared about what she thought of him, and her answer made him flush a bit as he used his folder to cover his face, going back to what he was reading.