Part One

The troll thrusts its meaty fist down. I roll to the right just as his fist collides with the earth. That was too close for comfort. Huffing a breath, I shake off the near miss and ready myself as the beast lumbers towards me.

Maw agape, the creature snarls at me. This is not my first dance with a troll, and it will not be my last. Standing ten feet tall and just as broad, I can see why dozens of untrained mages have fallen to this monster. Not that the beast was left unscathed from those encounters. Its grey skin is mottled with scars; remnants of earlier battles won, most old and long healed. This troll has been left to wreak havoc on this village, now abandoned and in ruins, for far too long. The beast would die tonight, I would make sure of that. To bring justice and peace to the villagers who had fled from their homes. For the souls lost during the rampage it unleashed the night before this one.

The troll strides closer. Unsheathing my sword, I stand firm, preparing. Dawn is not far away, if I cannot kill this swine by then I at least have the assurance of dawns light at my back. Beasts like this one do not thrive in sunlight. With a roar it charges. Taking a quick breath, I focus my magic into the blade in my hand. The runes along the length of the blade flash blue. There is a faint hum, and a metallic smell fills the air. In an instant my sword is engulfed in ice blue flames. I am ready when an enormous fist swings towards me. I quickly spin away while simultaneously swinging my sword with my left arm. A slash across the trolls' forearm has it growling with rage. Smirking, I run forward while the creature is still distracted by the gash in its arm. I charge forward and veer left just in front of the troll, bringing my blade slicing across his thigh. Another deep gash - good, this is progress.

We dance around like this for a while. He charges, too slow. I dodge and swing. Cut. Slash. Stab. All in a day's work for a mage like me. Even though I am doing damage it does nothing to slow this hulking monster down. I glance at the sky in a moments respite and see the creeping colours of dawn - not much longer, but long enough. I can feel my body and magic starting to wane, I just hope they can hold out until dawn breaks. Panting, sweat slicking my hair, I know I need a stronger spell to dispatch this beast, or at the very least keep it subdued until sunrise. Placing my hand over my sword I speak a quick incantation. Blue flames are still licking across the blade, and these are soon accompanied by white sparks and flashes. Bolts of lightning fork along the length of my sword, dancing with the flames. As more magic flows into the steel I pray. I pray to the old gods and the new that this will be enough.

Summoning the last strands of energy I have left; I charge at the troll and its giant frame. Striking hard, I bring my sword slicing across his belly and let momentum carry me past and behind him. The stink of burning flesh from such a gaping wound is pungent, eye watering. The great beast stumbles a couple of steps before righting itself and slowly turning towards me. I have seen countless gruesome, stomach-churning sights, in my time, but the one before me still brings bile rising in my throat. The trolls' belly is split end to end, intestines spilling out, and black blood pours in rivers from the gaping hole.

Unfortunately, this does not stop the thing. The troll stomps towards me and roars, the ground shaking in its wake. I ready my sword for its next skin shredding attack. The blade glows white hot, sparks crackle and mingle with blue flames. Vibrations of magic thrum through my body, my bones, but it is diminishing, and I feel weaker with every swing.

Red slivers of dawn inch around the cloud cover. Relief floods through me - just a little while longer and this beast will turn to stone in the morning sun. A flicker of movement catches my eye, and my attention is drawn towards it, just for a second. Something black quickly vanishes behind the ruined church. My mind must be playing tricks. I have no time to think on it as in the next instant I see a hulking arm swing towards me. Before I can dodge backwards and away from the blow it smashes into my body and sends me flying. I hit the ground hard and roll. Pain burns across my ribs and chest, my head is screaming. My vision blurs and I see the troll advancing, slower now, still around forty feet away. He must have thrown me at least fifty feet and knows I am injured. He is now taking his time, enjoying the thrill of the hunt. I will be an easy meal if I cannot get back on my feet. Get up. I try to stand but my body buckles and I cry out as pain sears across my chest: broken ribs. Lifting myself up on my arms I look around, and my vision goes in and out of focus. Something hot and wet trickles down my face and I reach up my hand - it comes away red. I must get up, I must move. Get up. Get up. GET UP. Summoning all my strength I push off the ground with another scream and finally find my feet.