𝟑 | 𝐃𝐞𝐯𝐢𝐥'𝐬 𝐰𝐨𝐫𝐤.

It had been a few of weeks since Rick's accident

It had been a few of weeks since Rick's accident. Nate spent most of that time at his bedside since being granted emergency leave. Surgery had went as best it could but there was no telling how long he'd be in a coma for.

Nate often sat reminiscing as he talked about some of his favorite memories growing up, conversations throughout the years that meant the most to him and he even threw in some inside jokes as well. Part of him hoped that he'd start the joke and like some dramatic movie scene his brother would awaken saying the punch line. The others came by when they could. It was just too difficult for Carl to see his father in this state so Nate would stay, barely leaving just long enough to grab something to eat and check in back at the house.

"After living off MRE meals for the past few months you have no idea how excited I was that she made shepherds pie last night." He joked after telling Rick about his day spent with Lori and Carl.

A wave of sadness fell upon him as he tried his best to hold himself together. "I know we like to one up each other, but don't you think this is a bit much?"

Clearing his throat trying to deny the tears that formed he spoke slowly to not choke on the words.
"I want you to know that regardless of when you wake up because you will, I'm going to be here. I'm out at the end of my contract. I already informed the squad about my upcoming discharge this morning. Shane's getting me in at the station like you wanted to do for me one day. Everything is going to work out. You'll see."

He'd periodically paused to rub his palms over his eyes and gather himself in between thoughts.
"I'll most likely be riding with Shane till you're back on your feet. No pressure but sooner than later would be appreciated. You know how we can get if left unsupervised for too long."

Throwing in little witty comments trying to make light of a heartbreaking conversation was his way of coping.

"I've got this brother. You just need to get better so you're around to see it. I know what you're thinking and yes I might be trading in my helmet...but I'm not wearing the old school sheriffs hat. That's all you. Something Shane and I can agree on. You should see him, he's pretty torn up about you. But he's excited to see me in a squad car instead of the Breacher."

He looked from Rick down to his hands. Rubbing his palms against each other as he always did when uncomfortable. "I can't imagine living in a world where you aren't apart of it. Don't think I wouldn't trade places with you if I could. Hell, I'd pull the trigger on myself if that meant it I was the one in this bed instead of you".

He stood with his arms crossed in front of his chest,

"How is it fair that I'm the one who is constantly getting shot at and yet you're the one who gets tagged?."