🦕ྀི (XXIV)

Chapter Twenty-four

[Y/N POV]

What is it?" I ask apprehensively.

Darius runs to the back immediately and looks out the window. The others follow, and I limp towards them my hands gripping the poles for support.

Then we all see it: a humongous flock of pteranodons are flying after our brightly moving monorail.

"The lights..." I mumble. "Guys, turn off the lights!"

Darius grabs a flashlight from a rack and starts to bang on the lights, breaking and dimming them. He and I know that...

"Flying replies are basically sea birds. They're attracted to shiny moving objects. With all these lights on--"

Sammy finishes our statement. "--we're a shiny moving object!"

A pteranodon bangs against the window, partly shattering the glass, leaving cracks all over. Everyone screams and starts to move, following Darius' lead. We all grab a flashlight each and smash the lights. They blink out, one by one.

"What should I do?" Ben yelps, seeing no more flashlights left for him.

"Just keep out of the way!" Brooklyn says distractedly.

From the top of the train car, I hear bangs, as if the pteranodons are landing on it loudly.

But then our smashing is too slow, so the pteranodons start to surround us.
Ben whimpers, and screams, covering his ears, and I look at him with worry, not being able to spare a moment to comfort my best friend.

Darius bursts into the next train car. "Brooklyn, you're with Yaz and Sammy. Kenji, follow me. Ben, help Y/N and Bumpy across."

Ben crawls over to me and I loop my arm around his shoulders. He helps me to walk to the next train car with my throbbing leg, and Bumpy tails us by our feet.

Suddenly, I gasp and point out the window. Darius glances at it, only to see a broken monorail on another track with pteranodons pecking at the white metal roof.

"That must've been the boom earlier."
I mutter, realization hitting me like a club.

"I told you--"

"Don't." Brooklyn cuts Kenji off curtly.

"If we don't switch tracks or stop this right now, we're gonna hit that thing, full speed." Darius says urgently.

"The front car, there's control panels there!" Kenji says.

Darius runs to it, tugging at the doorknob. It doesn't even budge at the slightest. "No, no, no!"

Then he dashes right below a part where there is a roof opening. "I'm gonna go to the front through there."

"You're gonna what?!" Sammy yelps.

"You can't go out there!" Kenji says.
"That's where the flying whatevers are!"

"We don't have a choice! Me and--" Darius glances at Ben briefly and he sees the overwhelming fear in the brunette boy's eyes. "I'm the only one who can fit."