Full Moon

The War party's camp was vast, stretching for miles across the arid, parched landscape. Yet, despite it's massive scale there was a looming quiet. A hovering cloud of anxiety and something more still. Flags bearing the sigil of the Dragon Knight, swayed gently in the breeze as if the wind itself obeyed the somber feeling it carried.

In the distance, the remnants of a large battle lingered. Blood soaked the thirsty ground, corpses lay dismembered, and flesh charred beyond recognition overwhelmed any other smell. While, overall,  they had successfully repelled their attackers the loss was still great, on both sides. 

Huddled in the center of camp, division leaders gathered around a smooth stone slab.  A single body lay across it with a thin cloth layered on top. Some of the captains wept in silence, others managed to hide their sorrow. While they had known death intimately, their hearts still ached an unbearable pain.

Slowly the air began to chill, and moving fog swept the once scorching camp. With it came the earthy smell of rain and the air moistened. Droplets gained weighty impact as they infrequently pelted the ground in their approach. The mourning group looked upon the source of the chill, a knight clad in full armor and a blue tabard, splattered with crimson blood. From the sides of his great helm, azure piscine-like fins extended outward. 

They remained quiet as the knight approached, who released his long sword to the ground as he walked. 

His right knee firmly planted into the ground beside the slab, and slowly lifted the cloth, suddenly stopping as soon as the features of the dead's face became visible. The knights fist clenched, the unmistakable sound of leather tightening slipped from his glove.

What was once a light sprinkling of rain became a storm, with winds that ripped at the camps banners: The knight continued to stare as his jaw clenched, devoured by an all consuming rage. 

"Gideon!" A feminine voice rang out from behind. "You need to control yourself!"

And just as suddenly a different hand gripped his fist, halting the torrential rains. Gideon's helm turned to meet the gaze of Lathander, whos red eyes were uncharacteristically genuine and soft. His pale blue skin was wet and reflective from the sudden rainfall. His gruff voice spoke in a manor so solemn that Gideon was almost shocked. 

"I know what you're thinking. And if you choose to do it, I wont let them follow you down this path."

Gideon ripped his hand away and stood. "And neither would I."

"Yet you're still going to do it aren't you?" Said Lathander with building emotion.

Walking away Gideon stopped, turning his eyes to the sky with a brief pause. "If death is the only language they will speak, then I will deliver them a sermon they will understand."

"Damnit Gideon, don't you dare!" Chimed in the female voice once more. "You told me you wouldn't do anything stupid on your own like this! Being reckless is just going to render everything we've done pointless."

Gideon couldn't look Feyra in the eye. It was too painful. 

"If you do this you'll be no better than the Primarch! And worse than that-" Tears began streaming from her eyes. "Worse than that you'll-" 

She was cut short by Lathander's grasp meeting her pauldron. "You will die Gideon. An irreversible, painful death. Why make us mourn two comrades this day? And for what?" 

Gideon looked at the 8 pointed pendant in his hand. "You can't possibly understand."

"If you were anyone else I would strike you down Gideon. If you were any other monster! You'd rather commit atrocities than simply try to make us understand! When did this madness infect you? I know you're still in there. I just hope that the real you comes to see how foolish you're being before it's too late."

Gideon stared into the distant battlefield for a moment, and then marched on without another word, never looking back. Removing his helm he drew an ornate horn to his lips and with its sounding, a serpent descended from the sky in a blue blur. It's draconic wings flapped to slow it's decent, throwing sand outward until it finally touched down with a booming weight. The dragon nuzzled its head into Gideon's arms. Climbing onto it's weathered leather saddle Gideon grabbed the reigns, and with a flick, they flew into the sky. Their destination being the great capital tower. 

Silently he seethed, letting his anger build once more. It all ends tonight, under the full moon.