𝟓 | 𝐅𝐫𝐨𝐦 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐚𝐬𝐡𝐞𝐬.

Acoustic shock

Acoustic shock. That's the first thing I focused on after my body jolted awake from being knocked unconscious.  The high pitched ringing noise threatened my sanity as it sent my eyes rolling into the back of my head. It was torturing my soul and caused me to forcibly push my head backwards into the cement slab I laid against. As sad as it is the thought of beating my head into it repeatedly sounded like heaven in comparison. Anything to make it stop.

My body fought like hell trying to come back down to reality. The more alert I became, the more I realized just how much pain I truly was in. My eyes squeezed shut as my body internally belting out at the sensation. Verbally on the other hand, well... my lips remained barely parted as I groaned deeply.

The crippling ring finally started to decrease in volume when a elephant sized amount of weight felt like it was crushing against my chest. "Just let me go." I mumbled.

Misery. That's all I could think of to describe it. The excruciating part of it all was that I didn't have a clue what was happening to my family. Did they make it out or would they suffer before death like I was now.

My fingers wiggled down at my side as I tried to power through the urge to take my own life. My warrior death was taken away but now all I wanted was to leave the world by my own hand. The world didn't deserve my last breath. My head leaned up to check my surroundings as a fit of coughing high jacked my body. The metallic taste danced around on my taste buds at the same time my eyes lids started to feel like cinder blocks.

"Nate!"
Who was that?
"Squeeze my hand if you can hear me."
Have you grabbed my hand yet?
"They've almost got us out!"
Please leave me. I just want to it to end.

A ray of light breaks through the thick clouds of debris. I'm being lifted from the cold cement floor while looking for an explanation just as I answered my own confusion.

"Jesus Christ," I muttered. The feeling of regaining control over my limbs is like being struck by lightning.
Pain subsiding as my survival instincts were rushing through my body making it now tolerable to function again.

It took awhile but the team had managed to pull Sergeant Miller and I out of the ruble. The building next to ours had collapsed partially leaving us lost below. We weren't buried too far underneath but with the walking dead that survived the multiple aerial assaults it was difficult. What would've taken them a certain amount of time had at least doubled as they had to cover their assess, dig to us and pull us out all at the same time.

"Nate," With the help of Danny and someone I didn't recognize, they were able to pull me from my confines. I stumbled after only the first step I tried to take. Danny quick on his feet caught me before I could fall back into a slump. My arm wrapped around shoulder as he supported my weight holding my middle. His silenced pistol in the other hand raised to shoot a walker that came from behind us.  "Nate, are you with me?"