SCOTTISH PLAY CHAPTER 1

Okay, I know I'm in a found family of actors, and I have become one myself.  

But will these found family members be willing to join me in this new thing I've discovered?

I will admit, I am quite a nerd.  And of course, I was eventually going to discover the wild and wonderful world of live action role playing.  That being said, I cannot tell if my friends and boyfriend will join me.  

My boyfriend is literally a Broadway heartthrob.  He has hundreds of thousands of fangirls across the world.  Derek could have chosen any girl he wanted that was his age, and he chose me, a geek that happened to be roommates with one of his best friends.  

I still marvel at that, even two years later.  

Hannah and Oliver are quite busy, too.  At this point, they're just as well known as Derek in the Broadway community.  Ever since they filled in for Derek after his appendectomy, they have been picking up off-Broadway roles left and right and are now full-fledged union members.  Oliver is a bit more active than she is, but she says that is well deserved.  He is extremely talented.  

Having said that, would the three of them even agree to try role playing with me?  Would they even want to geek out with me over something so trivial?  

There is only one way to find out.  

I'm at the theater with Derek, hanging out with him before his Friday night show, and he's around here somewhere.  I get up from the lounge chair I've been chilling in for the last half hour and go looking for him.  But I only get a few steps around the corner before I smack into my friend and his costar Kaya Aquino.

"Oops, sorry, I didn't see you there," I apologize quickly.  

She waves dismissively.  "Oh, please.  I don't mind.  You looking for your man?"

I nod.  "Can I ask you a question first?"

"Girl, I have told you from day one, if you need any information on him, you can ask me if he's unavailable.  What's up, sis?"

I shift my weight from one foot to the other.  "Well, you see, I like nerd games, and I've been doing some research on live action role playing games.  I was wondering if you thought he'd be into it."

Kaya rolls her eyes.  "I can't believe you think he wouldn't be.  He would love to.  He loves games like that.  He and I used to play those games backstage all the time.  I think you would really make his day if you invited him to do it with you.  And you better not exclude Hannah and Oliver, because they'd probably love it, too."

That's when I realize that Kaya herself should be a part of this game, as well.  "Would you like to join us?"

She grins.  "Name your time and your place.  I'll be there."

Just then, Derek sneaks up behind me and taps me on the shoulder.  "What are you girls on about now?"

I spin around.  "Oh, we were just wondering if you'd like to do a little role playing game with us.  You know, nerd stuff."

Derek's face lights up like a spark.  "You mean it?  You actually want me to play one of those games with you?  Are you serious?"

Kaya elbows me.  "See?  Told you he'd like it."

Derek can barely contain himself.  "Like it?  I've been waiting forever for a chance to do this with the crew.  I love role playing games.  Just warning you, I get way too into it."

"I'm fine with that," I reply.  "You're a great actor.  I'd like to see how far you take a silly little nerd play."

"Hold on, let me see if Hannah and Oliver will join us," Derek mumbles, pulling out his phone and running off like an excited little kid.  

Kaya laughs and shakes her head.  "I told you, girl.  Good luck flipping that switch back to normal once you get him started."

I gaze into the distance and nudge her.  "Hey, you're going to be there, too, so you can help me keep an eye on him."

Kaya puts her arm around me.  "Nah, you're good.  You got this.  You can handle it.  He'll be like a kid in a candy store with this."

Derek comes ripping around the corner at full speed.  "They said yes!" he exclaims.  "Does tomorrow morning work for you?"

"Considering we spend every weekend at your house, absolutely," I answer.  "Now we need to spend the last fifteen minutes before you need to be in place to come up with a generic plot."

Kaya thinks for a minute.  "The damsel in distress thing seems too cliche for us, because we are far from cliche," she points out.  

Derek gives her a thumbs-up.  "Agreed, Sister Sholta.  What about pirates?  How does that sound?"

Now it's my turn to get excited.  "I love the sound of that.  We could go so many ways with that."

"I have to be a sea monster," Kaya insists.  "Just let me have this.  Please."

"Oh, sure, as long as my character gets to be Derek's character's significant other," I tell her.  

Derek grins.  "I think we can manage that.  I'm texting the other two with the updates and Hannah wants to be the lookout.  Oliver wants to be the talking parrot."  He turns to me.  "Morgan, will you be my first mate?"

"Does this make you the captain?"

"Pretty sure, yeah.  So, will you join me in this seafaring adventure?"  He extends his hand towards me and brushes his hair out of his eyes.

I take his hand.  "Absolutely, Captain."

Kaya salutes him.  "Aye aye, Captain.  I'm still a sea monster, though, and I'm going to be a good one."

"Should I be scared?" I ask her playfully.

Derek embraces me.  "Relax, Morgan.  She can't do anything we can't handle together, not with our trusty lookout Hannah and our talking parrot Oliver on our side."

Kaya waves her arms like a giant squid.  "You've never seen me play a villain, have you?"

"I haven't, but I'm not scared of you," Derek retorts with a mischievous smile.  

"I have, but I'm not scared of you, either," I add.  

Kaya laughs maniacally and runs off.  "See you two tomorrow.  Derek, see you onstage in a few minutes."

Derek and I lock eyes.  "Are you okay staying here until the end of the show?  I know a place that's open late where we can get ice cream."

"I think I'll head back to the house with Hannah and Oliver until you come home so we can work on developing our characters," I reply.  "Surprise us tomorrow with yours."

He kisses me, then hugs me.  "Have a good night then, Morgan.  Don't feel the need to stay up for me."

"But I will," I protest.  "I always do."

Derek goes to walk towards the stage, but then looks back over his shoulder at me.  "I won't keep you waiting."