S2-Ep. 5-12 (R) - The Plan's Afoot

Previously on "The Otherworlders" - Prince Julian, prince of the Vampyrs and Sebastian's mother's distant cousin, is holding court in celebration of his engagement and the boys are there as a cover for their mission.

Vampyric courts are notorious for their political machinations and Emilie, Prince Julian's first cousin, is hard at work at it.

**********

Prince Julian's cousin, Emilie, and her husband, Raphael, are lounging in their chamber, taking a break from the night's ceaseless celebrations.

While Emilie paces restlessly, Raphael takes a seat on a small, tufted settee situated at the foot of their bed. He slumps back into the couch, and with a tired groan, kicks off his boots, and tucks an embroidered cushion behind his head.

Emilie strolls over to a silver bar cart sitting on the other side of the room and pours them both a glass of rich, crimson wine.

"I don't understand why you're so upset, my love," Rapheal says with an exaggerated stretch and a loud, gaping yawn. "This union will put your family in an even more advantageous position."

"It will," Emilie concedes cooly, "but it's simply not enough."

Raphael's face creases in confusion. "Enough for what?"

Emilie returns and hands her husband a drink, then takes a seat on the matching settee sitting on the other side of the gilded coffee table in between them.

"Raphael," she replies tersely. "Do you not understand that we're losing ground, both as a family and amongst our kind?" She looks at him intently, assessing if he could really be so naïve, then resigned, takes a slow sip of her wine.

Deciding to try again, Emilie softens her voice and says, "In all honesty, I don't believe either my uncle nor my cousin truly understands the risk they're putting our family in by supporting this ridiculous Otherworlder integration. I mean, did you see..?" She tilts her head imperiously. "Did you see Sir Geoffrey's First Son, the bratty one, Sebastian, parading around the palace with those lesser beings as if they were our equals, as if they were his best mates! It was appalling!" She sweeps her honey blonde hair over her shoulder, rests her arm on the back of the couch, and drains the last of her wine in one long, deliberate swallow.

"Yes, I did see him," Raphael replies, however knowing his wife, he decides to tread cautiously. "But, darling, I still don't see what that has to do with-"

"Oh, Raffe, Raffe, Raffe!" Emilie rolls her eyes. "Are you truly that thick?" she snaps, irritated.

Then after a beat, she sucks in a deep, calming breath and slides her empty wine glass onto the gilded coffee table sitting in between them.

"All right. Let me explain," Emilie offers. "You see, The High Council's push for Otherworlder integration is only growing in popularity amongst the Lower Houses. I mean, good gods! It's actually emboldened them! They're getting more audacious by the hour! And based on what I've heard, many of the Lower Houses see this as an opportunity to finally violate their long-held oaths of devotion to the Great Families, who have provided them with their lands, their careers, and their riches."

Exasperated, Emilie flings herself back onto the couch and mutters underneath her breath, "Those ungrateful bastards!"

Rapheal scowls, having come from one of these apparently reviled and ungrateful Lower Houses.

But Emilie remains oblivious to the insult she's just so callously thrown her husband's way.

Instead, she leans forward and jabs a finger at him, stewing in her self-righteousness. "Do you realize that there's a group of minor nobles currently planning to petition for the reformation of the Council of Great Houses?!"