Prologue

Her father was drunk. Again. Elora carefully manoeuvred her way around the empty bottles of ale littering the rotten wooden floor. Another birthday, forgotten - and even though she knew it would be, a small part of her hoped her eighteenth would be different. Reaching eighteen was a special birthday, one where Fae like her finally settled into their magic it was suppose to be a joyous occasion; but inside she only felt hollow.

She imagined their cottage had been beautiful once, cared for and filled with love but as she saw it now, decaying and rotten it was evident that only heartbreak remained. Elijah, her father currently laid on their thread bare couch, even in his sleep he still looked tormented and Elora couldn't stop the frown that overtook her face. The only parts of her mother Elora carried with her was her long midnight hair, and a face that had a remarkable resemblance - according to her father. But her memories were fogged, covered in a thick layer of frost that she could never quite clear, her fathers however seemed to consume him - or more accurately destroy him. They had been 'soulmates', 'mates', as the Fae called them, two half of a souls destined for each other and when she vanished without a trace so did her fathers will to live. At first it had been manageable, the pain numbed by the idea that one day they would find her but as the years passed by, the alcohol had dulled the agony. Soon enough she was fending for herself, although he had been competent enough to ensure that no matter the circumstances she never revealed her powers to anyone. As she looked around the abandoned house she noted the absence of her adopted brother. Thalian, her best friend and brother was missing from the fray of mess meaning he'd already taken off to work without her. Spying a note on the kitchen counter she snatched it up, "Happy birthday! You'll get your present later - Thalian" her rosy lips pulled into a brilliant smile.

Before the drinking got bad, her father had come home one day, small crying baby cradled in his arms; a local woman had died during child birth, with no father around and no family, her father had taken pity on him and everyday she thanked the Guardians that he did. They had become partners in crime, two sides of the same coin and although she had the habit of mothering him, her life was infinitely better with him in it. 

Her magic pulsed in her veins, she held her hand out a small flame jumping to life at the centre of her palm. She watched it dance with fascination as it swayed in the morning light. Something about it still felt completely unknown to her, she had never been allowed to train or use it. Any use of magic that might alert the King's men to her gift had been forbidden from even her. She shook her head, desperate to wipe even the thought of her power from her mind; the small flame spluttered out, lifeless. Quietly she unhatched the door and walked into the morning light.

Elora breathed in deeply, tasting the crisp morning air on her tongue.The sunlight started to burn through the last tendrils of last night's chill. The light warmed her face as she closed her eyes and tilted her head back into the sun's warm embrace. She savoured the feeling of her steady heartbeat. Elora strode through the town admiring its ancient elegance; thatched cottages in an array of yellow hues, complimented by the red brick stone looked inviting and warm in the early morning sunlight. It was an incredibly beautiful town, contrasted so harshly by the starvation its people faced. The further she entered into the centre of their kingdom the buildings began to bend into tall towers reaching up and touching the sky. As she headed towards the market she paused over the bridge in the heart of the town. It was said to have been carved from the wood of the first tree, illustrations etched along the length of it retelling the story of Guardian's and how the Guardian of the Moon and Sun had blessed the four elemental Kings that ruled their kingdom with their power, hand picking them from the land's people. The four Kings represented each element; Fredrick Cirdan held the power of fire, Loch Silvyr held the power of water, Enki Vaegon held the power of earth and finally Damian Onas held the power of the air. Each one was said to hold unimaginable magic, the legends of them rung through every kingdom in Lillothia.