Chapter 1

I was enjoying a road trip when my dad said his usual line when passing a lake, "there's probably fish in that."

Me and my mom both chuckled. "We should go fishing soon."

My dad smiled back at me, and I smiled back.

I turned back out the window and popped my earbuds back in and unpuasing my music.

My girn spread as I heard the first lyrics, Ninety miles on the highway.

I started mouthing along when the Chorus hit.

How do miracles just happen like that,
Happen like that,
You can say the stars align, but
I know that it's more than timing

I kept mouth syncing through the end of the song. I pressed the power button on my phone just to see what song was on and saw, Demons by Imagine Dragons. It was a good song, but I was not in the mood for it, so I swapped the playlist to my Catholic/Christian list.

I continued listening and lip syncing with the various songs that played--mainly Matt Maher, Colton Dixion, and Matthew West--while looking out the window until my mom called my name for my attention.

"Yeah?"

"You know last night me and a few friends were joking about wine stories," I groaned, knowing where this was going, "and I told your first communion story. Even the guy who had a vineyard in California for ten years said it was the best wine story he's ever heard."

My mom's favorite story about me was a very embarrassing one.

When I was in second grade, the day before first communion, we were setting up for my party afterward. I asked if we could have my grandma and grandpa bring some of the wine they make. Yeah, I thought that after first communion, I was able to drink wine.

The car went quiet shortly before my mom and dad struck up a conversation, and I unpuased my music once again

---------<Time Skip>--------

When the car rolled to a stop, I was ready to pop out and stretch my legs.

"Rhiana," my mom said as she put the car in park.

"Yeah?"

"Your father and I have something to tell you." Okay... Usually not a good sign.

"So you know how we've always told you that I met you when after year because of medical things?" My dad said.

"Yeah..." I said skeptically.

"That's not... One hundred percent true."

"What?" My dad's words were confusing. No pictures of me before 1 had my dad...

My mom and dad locked eyes before he looked back at me and said, "I'm actually... Your stepfather. Your real father left before you were born."

I blinked. "What's his name?"

"Im not sure, sweetie. I'm sorry, but you're 12 now, so I thought you deserved to know." My mom said.

My whole world had just shattered, and I had no control over it. My dad wasn't my dad. We'd been on the road for many days with almost all our things... Could that be why? Was he leaving me and my mom?

My world flipped as I got out of the car and ran. I didn't know where I was running--I didn't even know where I was--but I had to get away.

I fell to the ground not too far but out of eyesight of the car. I felt hot tears creating red lines on my face. As I knelt, I felt my cross necklace rub against my hand.

I grabbed it and stared at it.

God, I thought to myself, why is this happening. Why are you forsaking me like this? Why?

A small voice coaxed that it would be alright, and He had a plan.

But how I'd this part of your plan? All I've been is faithful is this my repayment?

The voice urged me to continue holding strong to my faith and that it would work out. Something about it made me sure.

Okay God. I trust you just please... Make it okay and take care of me.