55

55 - Go Up In Smoke

ZARA

         My eyes didn't leave the woman standing beside James, watching the way she tucked herself behind him and scanned the premises with scarred eyes. It was as if she expected something to come out and attack her. This wasn't the woman I remembered – not by a long shot.

Soon after, the three of them shuffled together and walked towards the house. I watched them as the men chatted easily, but the woman stayed silent and held her head down.

She was very different now.

They eventually disappeared from view and I turned to look at Drake but he was already gone. Damn warlock, I cursed, looking out at the now empty field. Seeing the woman – a piece of my past – resurface like this was not something I expected.

I had left that life a long time ago, my search for the Rogue King causing more harm to myself than good. I didn't need the past haunting me now; not when I had finally seemed to settle in one place.

Sighing, I tugged at the shirt I wore and moved to the sliding doors. Just as I walked in, a smile stretched across my lips as I saw Haden standing there.

"Hey," I greeted as I moved towards him.

"Hey yourself," he greeted back, immediately wrapping his arms around my waist. I could feel a sense of relief flood the mate bond and I'm sure he felt the comfort from my side. I grew to like being in his arms like this.

But he grew tense and pulled away, a low growl rumbling from his chest. "The next time Drake finds his way up here, I'm ripping his heart out of his chest."

I giggled at his expression, easily breaking the tension when I made a move to cup his cheek. I stared into his eyes and shook my head in humor before pulling him down to connect our lips. At one touch, fire rippled through us and I felt his muscles slowly lose the tension.

As we parted, I finally posed the question, "Who was the woman with James?"

"Ah, you saw," he grinned, hands resting on my hips and thoughts of Drake long forgotten, "James's new mate. She's a bit quiet, but then again I'm not used to quiet," he added with a smirk, chuckling when I hit him in the head.

"Finished?"

His smirk widened to my annoyance, pulling me closer. "Yes, ma'am."

Rolling my eyes, I shoved him away and chuckled before moving to the bed. I heard his feet shuffle towards me before he reached for my waist and pulled me into his chest. He nuzzled my neck and my heart fluttered when he kissed the mark on my neck.

His mark.

"And if I wasn't?" he whispered in her ear, his breath tickling my ear and making me shiver.

"We should go meet this mate of James," I mumbled back.

"Mhm, we'll get to that, but I can think of a few different things we can do before that," he said, smirking into my neck. The minute I felt his member poking into my lower back, I knew we wouldn't be going anywhere anytime soon.

            When we finally managed to detangle ourselves from each other, we headed downstairs and found everyone lounging in the living room. The living room was filled with the comforting chatter of pack members. Haden and I exchanged glances, sharing a silent understanding as we joined the group gathered in the cozy space.