56

56 - Scorched To No End [Pt 1]

HADEN

            The night hung heavy with anticipation as we stood vigil along the border, every sense tuned to the slightest disturbance. The entire day had been like this – waiting, utterly frozen in time waiting on an attack that was sure to come. The air crackled with tension, each heartbeat echoing the silent countdown to impending chaos.

James and Conner flanked me along the edge of the Northern border, their presence a reassuring anchor in the midst of uncertainty.

"You know," James began, "I'm not going to be pleased if I die before breakfast tomorrow."

Conner and I chuckled at his feeble attempt to ward off the weight of impending danger. In the face of looming peril, humor was our armor, however fragile it may be.

"We're about to face hundreds of thousands of rogues and your main concern is breakfast tomorrow?" Conner questioned incredulously through his light chuckle.

James merely shrugged. "Well that and getting back to my mate. I'm sure we're all feeling that sentiment."

At that, thoughts of Zara filled my mind and I nodded. The thought of Zara waiting back at the pack house sent a surge of determination and reassurance through me. Knowing that she was tucked away safely was far more than I could ask for.

"Hey, a man's gotta have priorities," I quipped with a smirk.

"And one of your priorities includes calming that mate of yours. The entire house heard that fight when you asked her to stay behind with the women and children."

At the mention of James's comment, I rolled my eyes and scowled, the latest argument coming back to me in flashes. She wasn't entirely ecstatic about staying behind, but it was for her own damn good. I wouldn't be able to focus on getting rid of these rogues and killing the Rogue King if I knew she was on the field.

It was better for both of us that she was in hiding; if she was protected.

"She calmed down a little after I mentioned she could protect the women and children should anything happen," Conner inputted.

"She's used to taking care of problems by herself," I stated, "but once this Rogue King problem is dealt with then we can both settle in the Alpha-Luna role for the pack. We'll all be grateful for the settling part, and our mates can help each other out."

"Absolutely," James affirmed, his voice firm with resolve. "Amelia will need a bit of time to... adjust, but once she does, she'll be an asset to the pack."

I smirked at him. "You're already blinded by love. Awe, that's so cute."

He rolled his eyes and opened his mouth to respond but the jesting ceased as a sudden commotion erupted right in front of us, shattering the stillness of the night. Without warning, we were engulfed in a frenzied onslaught of rogues, their vicious onslaught tearing through the tranquillity like a tempest unleashed.

We shifted instantly, our instincts taking over as we leaped into action. The chaos of battle surrounded us, the clash of steel and the snarls of wolves filling the air as we fought tooth and nail against our relentless assailants.

James and Conner had spread out from my side, their skill evident as we held our ground against the tide of wolves. Every swing of my claws, every thrust of my canines was met with an equal force from the rogues of the night, but we stood firm, determined not to yield an inch of ground.