Picnic Under the Eclipse

I got really hyped about being in the path of totality for the eclipse so I wrote this fic at a new speed record for me! Contains Suntan and Cotton Candy. Enjoy!

 Kel, Sunny, Aubrey, Basil, and Kim walked into the Faraway Town park, carrying the necessary ingredients for a picnic. It wasn't going to be the average outing though, because a solar eclipse was set to happen that afternoon, and Faraway Town was in its direct path.

"We're all packed, right?" Basil checked once more.

"I can't stop to look," Aubrey started, carefully holding the wicker basket, "but last I checked, we have snacks, sandwiches, the discs for the boombox, the solar eclipse glasses-"

"Wait, I wanna try them on!" Kel declared, jostling the picnic basket around Aubrey's arm as he rummaged through.

"Kel! You're gonna mess up all the food!" She shouted, but his pace didn't slow until he grabbed a pair of solar eclipse glasses, struggling to make the bent handles stay on his ears.

"Am I wearing it right?"

Sunny snickered. "You look so stupid, Kel."

His laughter was contagious, Kel chuckled along as he tossed up a fitting pose. "Why thank you! I'd return the favor if I could, heh, see."

"Kel, I'd give you $20 if you looked at the eclipse without the glasses." Aubrey offered snidely.

"Tempting, but no. I'd give you $30 to look though."

Aubrey scoffed as he shot her finger guns. "We all know you don't have that kind of money."

"Neither do you! You spend it all on your sugar baby." Kel fired back.

He shifted his glasses to sneak a coy look at Aubrey's and Kim's flushed faces, Kim burying hers into her hoodie with a cacophony of giggles. Aubrey shielded her face with one hand and flipped him off with the other. "Ohhhh fuck youuu."

Kel, unfazed, leaned down to whisper to his boyfriend. "Psst Sunny, show me how to do the three middle fingers again." He obliged with a smirk, and Kel mirrored his movements. As soon as he got into position, he quickly spun to face Aubrey with a victorious "HAH!"

"You're so corny..." Sunny mumbled, squeezing his shoulder. He reached up on tiptoes to push Kel's eclipse glasses fully out of his eyes.

Aubrey reached for a bat that wasn't there with a frustrated huff. "Uh, guys..." Basil started with worry, "Don't fight..."

"Don't worry your little head, Basil. It's all in good fun!" He assured. Aubrey rolled her eyes and gave Basil a small nod of confirmation. Basil squeaked as Kel ruffled his hair, careful to not disturb the flower tucked by his ear. "Sorry you got caught in the crossfire Kim."

"Nah, it was funny." She said with a small smile, lifting her head out of the hoodie.

"Hey Kim, what's everyone else up to today?" Sunny asked.

"Oh, uh, Maverick decided he was 'too cool for the eclipse' so he convinced Angel to just muck around with him. Charlene's watch from home, and so is Vance, he's sick." She listed.

"Woof, hope he feels better soon," Kel said with nods of agreement from everyone else. "Glad you could come though!"

"Guys, do you mind if we sit down soon?" Sunny requested, leaning slightly on Kel. He still struggled with aftereffects from his sedentary life, one of which being his incapability to stand for long periods. While it wasn't nearly as bad as it was when Kel first got him out of the house, the weakness snuck up on him at times.