Nothing Like Home

The lights flickered, casting shadows along the walls of the dark manor

The lights flickered, casting shadows along the walls of the dark manor. Its elegant structure and tall archways are illuminated by candlelight. Pictures of loved ones from the past line the halls. Treasured heirlooms sit undisturbed on display here and there. Some hang on the walls. Others sit in clear boxes on tables and decorate the fireplace mantle.

A tall burly man stands beside the fireplace. His gaze as cold and focused as a marble statue at the fire burning in front of him. Illuminating his mahogany eyes.

"You wanted to see me?" his daughter asks as she walks into the room. Maximus turns his back to the dancing flames to look at his approaching daughter of only fourteen.

"Yes." He says with a sigh. "Please, sit." The girl nods. Settling into a nearby chair lush with velvet.

"It's time we have a conversation about the future of your education." The girl's head tilts slightly in confusion. "I thought I was doing well? Are you not pleased with my progress?" she questions.

"Indeed I am. But vera, there are things you must learn that I cannot teach you. Things that are beyond instruction. And, as your mother would argue, are long overdue for you to know." He paused. "It's time for you to join your peers. This year you will be leaving your home here at Cadman Manor and joining your peers at Hogwarts."

"Hogwarts!? But I thought you disapproved-"

"There are alliances to build there. Elements of society you must be exposed to. You have a legacy to uphold Vera. One that extends beyond these walls. Your mother and I have done all we can to prepare you for it. Now it's time to create alliances of your own." Maximus interjected before she could finish her question.

"You will understand more in time. For now, know that you are destined for great things. Remember those who matter. Pureblood, influential families like the Malfoy's will be your greatest allies. Slytherin-the house of ambition and cunning is where you belong. Remember, reputation is everything. Make us proud."

Vera's mind raced with the promise of adventure. Mixed emotions flooded in as the weight of responsibility bore down on her. The unknown both scary and exhilarating. Unsure what to expect, she excused herself to go pack whatever she thought she would need for the trip ahead. After all, Hogwarts awaited.

——————Authors note——————

Hey there! Hope you enjoyed this short first chapter. This is my first time writing any sort of story like this so please bear with me as we go along. The story has been really fun to come up with but getting it down on paper has been rather challenging. Anyway, will be updating again soon! Enjoy! :)