𝟒 | 𝐀𝐜𝐜𝐞𝐩𝐭𝐚𝐛𝐥𝐞 𝐥𝐨𝐬𝐬𝐞𝐬.

We were heading to a school that been used to home a refugee center after the outbreak hit

We were heading to a school that been used to home a refugee center after the outbreak hit. It wasn't a long drive but long enough for me to be lost in my own mind about everything that's happened.

I couldn't afford to let control slip away from me. So just like I did during combat I locked all of those pesky little emotions behind a door in the back of my mind.
I'd have plenty of time to open those wounds when I got back but for now this is how I help Carl.

Otis pulled the truck to a stop not far from the building but good enough the sound would grab unwanted attention. I hopped out the back just as Shane closed the passenger door. "Look man, you sure about this? I can handle it."

I threw the strap of my assault rifle over my head and adjusted the gun in its position.

"Sure about going on a dangerous run with the man who shot my nephew and the man bedding my brother's wife? Why wouldn't I be sure? I'm living the dream."

Shane's face dropped. It was a solid win for me honestly. Guess that door wasn't closed tight enough in my mind. "I know things are screwed up right now but.."

Otis walked ahead of us giving us some space.
I cut Shane off trying to not have a conversation that would set me off.

"Things are more than screwed but it doesn't matter right now okay? We've always been able to set shit aside and work together to handle our business."

I turned to step beside him as we started slowly walking in Otis's direction as I nod over to the clueless man. My voice lowering to be certain only Shane heard.

"You seen Otis in that field. He couldn't keep up more than two or three minutes without needing to peel over and beg for oxygen. It's too out of shape for this. He's just here because of his guilt."

"I know. He's gonna get us killed." Shane agreed.

"No he's not because we don't have a damn choice here. Carl needs those supplies or he isn't gonna make it." My tone stern.

"How do you want to do this?" He asked me.

"You focus on getting in and out with everything we need. If something happens I'll try to get him out but I'm not upset if I can't. If something happens to us then leave. I'll figure something out or I'll accept what happens if I can't but only if you get to Carl."

"Alright but just so you know we're getting out of this. We including you. Maybe not him but us." I gave him a nod as we already wrote Otis off as dead. If there was one thing I could count on, it was that Shane would always agree on things like this. Rick would do it if he had to. That or if he didn't have another choice but I don't know if he'd agree to it before hand.