TWELVE

"shelter - the xx"

I woke up to find Rafe peacefully sleeping

I woke up to find Rafe peacefully sleeping. He had his arm snaked round my waist and head buried in the crook of my neck. I cough slightly trying to not wake him up but he opens his eyes. They widened at the sight of me.

"Erm Eli, what are you doing here?" He asks. Is he being serious right now? "I'm sorry?" I question. "You're in my bed," he carries on getting up but groaning doing so. "You asked me to stay, don't you remember?" "Sorry no, I thought you left," he speaks. I roll my eyes and sigh. "You know what, it's cool, we didn't do anything if that's what you're concerned about," I stay staggering around trying to put my clothes back on. "No Eli I didn't mean it li-" I cut him off. "It's fine, Kooks and Pogues don't mix right!"

I shoot out of his bedroom door slamming it behind me. He doesn't even bother to follow me, typical. How embarrassing. I run out of Tannyhill not looking back. I head straight for Barry's, the weather today being as beautiful as ever.

I arrived at Barry's and slumped on the sofa. "You better hope Rafe doesn't come back for you after what you did," I said sternly crossing my arms. Barry chuckled, "Eli he owes me over $1000 worth of gear, he wasn't getting away with it!" "That doesn't mean you need to beat him black and blue, you should have given him an extension, it was my fault he left that party early," I added. I wasn't lying, Rafe took my home that night, I mean that wasn't my fault but he took me home. "Why you defending him, you hate him," Barry laughed. "I'm not can I just have some stuff," I said giving puppy dog eyes. "You mean coke?" He asked with raised brows. I nodded sheepishly. "Damn Eli, you're gonna be the death of me, well no it will be the death of you!" I smiled and ran straight to his room. I grab a bag of coke and ran straight back out.

I laid out a line on the table and did my first snort. Then another, and another. I was really focused even though my thoughts were coming at me like bullets. Why did Rafe tell me he liked me? Why can't he remember me being there? Does he remember telling me he liked me? Does he remember the kiss?

I began pulling at my hair, tears starting to well up in my eyes. "Hey, hey Eli!" Barry snapped his fingers. "I think that's enough for now," he said taking the bag of powder from my hands. "NO!" I scream snatching it back and running off. "Eli!" Barry shouted but I ignored him and kept running.

I sprinted and sprinted as fast as I could. I didn't care where I was going I felt like I was flying. The wind swept through my hair and I held my arms out as a ran, like a bird soaring through the sky. This is why I love coke.

I headed back to my place not going in, just to get my surfboard out of the shed. I sneaked into the back garden hoping Dad wouldn't see me. Quickly I grabbed my board and ran to the beach. The waves were looking choppy today and on top of that I was high as a kite. The perfect combination.

I stripped off and ran straight to the ocean. The coldness tingling my ankles. I saw the first wave coming and decided to catch it. The arc of blue over my head as I surfed. I glided through the wave letting it take me away.

After an hour or so, my high was coming down and I began to feel slightly worn out. I decided to paddle back to shore but noticed a figure stood by my clothes. Rafe.

"What do you want Cameron?" I scoffed grabbing my towel and drying myself off. My hair dries super quick so I shook it in my towel and dried the rest of myself off. Rafe just stared. I clicked my fingers in his face, "earth to Rafe!" He quickly snapped out of whatever thought he was having.

"I just came to ask, you won't tell anyone we shared a bed last night will you?" I muttered. I scoffed at his words and shook my head. "No Rafe I won't tell anyone, you think I want people to know that," I chuckled grabbing the rest of stuff. He grabbed my arm causing me to flinch. "Drop the attitude Eli-Beli," he whispered. I yanked my arm from his grip and walked off. Asshole.

As much as I hate Rafe Cameron god does his looks do something to me. They always have. Shame his personality is a bulldog.

I decided to head home to try and nap. I quietly shut the front door and was surprised when I saw a note on the fridge.

'Gone on a business trip, be back in a week'

Dads idea of a business trip is meeting a new dealer. It was what happened in Florida. He left me and came back with a guy called Jake. The thought of him makes my skin crawl. I haven't told anyone about my past with Jake, not even Sarah.

I went to my room and lay down. Finally some peace and quiet for a week. No bruises or cuts. Freedom.

____________________

A.N- A short chapter for you all who reads this 🖤

Please check out my tik tok account dedicated to this fanfic-

drewsgirlsorrel