𝟓 | 𝐂𝐨𝐧𝐝𝐨𝐥𝐞𝐧𝐜𝐞𝐬.

I turn to see Shane shoving his gun back into his belt as he hobbles over to Otis's body

I turn to see Shane shoving his gun back into his belt as he hobbles over to Otis's body. The walkers foaming at the mouth racing to their dinner bell that was his screams. I drop the medical bag not wanting to haul it twice before running over.

"Help me get the bag off him." Shane spits as he's fighting Otis over it.

"What the hell!" Looking from him back down to Otis sent me back mentally to think about one time on the road after we had just left the city.

Flashback • PTSD

"What do you think, Serg?" CJ, a father of two and the husband of our only registered nurse asked. He often spoke to me to voice concerns for others who weren't comfortable with us three fully yet.

"I wouldn't just leave them." Danny said.

"Why? They'll be dead soon. Cut our losses and make sure they can't come back to literally bite us in the ass." Another man of our group harshly said.

Some people are encouraging the idea of leaving them, while others are too scared to say anything out of fear they'll be given hate.

"I say enough waiting around." Another man yells as he acts in a quick pace walking over to the group of infected.

After leaving the city we lost two others in an attack by one of our own who turned in his sleep. He either hadn't noticed or didn't say anything about being scratched or bit. That night he took his wife and her father out before we could get to him.

The next morning everyone took turns stripping down to the bare minimum in order for our nurse to check over. It was harsh but necessary. Everyone who wanted to stay with the group had to go through it.

I couldn't ask anyone to do something I wouldn't so I was first to set the tone. I stood in the middle of our little resting spot and stripped down out of my uniform leaving me in my boxers.

Once she cleared me I got dressed and asked for the next person to go. When no one moved Danny went and then Miller. Once we were cleared we could help check others to make it go by quicker.

Those who had nothing to worry about for the most part seemed fine following my example. Their fear of being seen by others or their distrust in us was overruled by their will to survive.

The only exceptions to public searches were the kids. Our nurse looked them over carefully but nothing like the rest of us.

It came down to four people who fought me getting searched but they also were the four who withheld their marks from us. One man, his teenage daughter and two of our fighters.