𝟔 | 𝐍𝐨 𝐟𝐚𝐥𝐬𝐞 𝐡𝐨𝐩𝐞.

Lori's POV

Lori's POV.

Despite everything that's happened since the start, Shane Walsh is part of the reason why my son is alive. He didn't hesitate for a moment to go out there and risk himself in order to retrieve those medical supplies. Regardless of what's happening between us I know that he loves my son and my family because he himself is apart of it.

I can't imagine what would've happened if he hadn't been here. The people here lost their man, Otis. That was when there were three men on the run. God only knows what would've happened to Nate if he and Shane weren't together. Maybe we'd be mourning him as well right now.

After all we've been through, is there a chance we could be okay again? If Shane stayed, could we find our way back to the family we once were? I don't know if we'll actually be able to heal what we've broken. But to not at least try seems like a worse idea than him leaving.

"I just wanted to check up on him." Shane muttered as he appeared in the doorway.

My eyes scanned over to see him as I held Carl's hand in mine. "I think you should stay."

Carl had been sleeping ever since the surgery and I couldn't bring myself to leave his side. Shane has his arms crossed as he leans on the door frame.

His eyes were glued to Carl before I spoke. He let his meet mine almost immediately after I spoke. "Really?"

"We shouldn't be separated from each other. I'm not sure what will happen in the future but we're stronger together. Don't you think so?"

There was a deep sense of sadness in his tone. "Lori,"

"It's always been us four before, Why ruin our family when we need each other the most right now?"
He's looking at me with a different expression than he has before. One I haven't seen in the past. When he nodded I thought that was the end of it. Placing a kiss on the back of Carls hand I went back to watching him sleep peacefully.

"Lori, Nate found out about us." Shane's hoarse voice nearly broke from the moment he began to speak.

My eyes widened as I looked over to him. The look on his face confirmed my fear. "How did... you told him?"

The heart that once beat steady in my chest had dropped significantly as I found it harder to breathe. "He overheard our conversation at the church."

Forming sentences became a difficult task as my mind began to panic. Trying to process the news was like trying to put a forest fire out with a bucket of water. Pointless.