[ 3 ] Nobara Gives Megumi A Hand (Nobara Is The Main Character Actually)

Itadori considered his gaydar pretty adept, and so the shock of walking in on Nobara and Megumi was still in effect for their next mission. The fact that he was convinced both of them were gay only compounded his shock by two.

They were in a suburb for the mission, and on the quiet streets, Itadori suffered the guilt of walking between Nobara and Megumi, who kept at a distance.

"You guys don't have to pretend to separate just because I—" Itadori started, breaking off into a cough.

Nobara glared at him, or more precisely, Megumi.

Megumi sighed. He patted a hand on Itadori's back as he recovered, which ended in a soothing rub that sent a rush of relief through Itadori's system. He chalked it up to the fact that Megumi, evidently, wasn't pissed at him.

Things won't be awkward again, he told himself.

And then Megumi thwacked him upside the head, prompting a startled yelp from Nobara. "We aren't dating," he said.

"What was that?" Gojo said, far, far ahead of them.

"Nothing," Nobara and Megumi said in unison.

Gojo had stopped walking and within a second, stood directly in front of them. Itadori took a step back, sheepish, hands behind his back.

"I said nothing," Megumi iterated.

They had completely halted in the middle of that main street where Gojo gestured silently between the three of them, and upon Itadori making a cutting motion across his throat, Gojo settled on just Nobara and Megumi like a ghost radar pinging at max energy upon the two of them.

Gojo gasped, grabbing Megumi by the shoulders. "You're dating?! And you didn't tell me?!"

"I just said we aren't," Megumi said.

"I'm gay," Nobara said.

If Itadori was confused before, he was thrilled now (and also confused)."I knew it!" he shrieked.

Her ears had gone pink, and now her entire face was beet red. Stammering, she blurted, " That's your reaction?!" She slapped a hand over her face. "Sorry, sensei, you didn't need to know that."

"But as Megumi's father—"

Megumi glared at the sky.

Gojo patted a hand atop Nobara's head. She couldn't look past her hands still covering her face. "—I appreciate knowing these things about my precious little Megumi's friends."

"Does this mean another party," Itadori breathed, eyes wide.

"No," Nobara said, glaring, only to hesitate. She pursed her lips. "Maybe. What about just the four of us?"

"Dinner after this, on me," Gojo suggested. "But you have to tell the staff it's your birthday so they give you candles on the dessert."

Nobara threw up two thumbs up. "Can do!"

"Wait," Itadori said, voice heavy and hoarse. He cleared his throat, but it did nothing. "Then what was that last night... mm! "

Megumi slapped his hand over Itadori's mouth just as Nobara did the same.

"We're supposed to be on a mission, not gossiping," Megumi said.

"But now I wanna know," Gojo said.

"Where are we supposed to be going?"

"Oh! We're here." They were standing before an abandoned movie theater.

The marquee lightbulbs were gone, the scalloped edges rusted over and decaying. The frames where movie posters used to hung showed exposed brick and, as they approached, Itadori tried to peek between the boards in the ticket booth window.