𝟖 | 𝐒𝐭𝐚𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐜𝐨𝐧𝐭𝐞𝐬𝐭.

Back at camp you'd have to kiss the flames to feel the fires warmth

Back at camp you'd have to kiss the flames to feel the fires warmth. They were kept below the embers in fear of being seen. That's the subtle reminder of how we shouldn't blow this chance at Hershel's.

Turning over the guns will only get us so far. We have to prove why we should be allowed to stay.

"Pulling dead weight up the well while injured? Nice to see this world hasn't changed every part of you." The sarcastic spirit of Miller not going unanswered.

"For once I agree with you." Shit. I might not have lost myself completely. "Don't worry though, I spent the rest of the day sitting on my ass."

Danny's eyebrows raise showing off worry lines across his forehead asking the question everyone wanted to. "Are you sure about turning in all of the guns?"

Andrea's interest sparked as the conversation switched. "These people haven't seen what it's like out there. They don't understand the importance yet."

Shane who was throwing twigs into the fire stood listening carefully for my response.

"Do I think we should turn over our guns? No. I've had my gun on me since I was eighteen. I get it, but we need this to work and not just until we find Sophia."

"You want to stay here?" Andrea asked to which I quickly replied with a bit of shock in my tone. "Don't you? This is the closest thing we've come to being safe. This is a good set up and I'm sure over time we could make it better. Plus there's a doctor here."

The others all seemed to be lost in thought as if I had just asked them to cure world hunger or find the cure to cancer. "This is the best place for the children too. I've got to think about Carl, Jamie and Sophia."

Truth was I wasn't sure if we'd find Sophia but they needed to believe it. I didn't want to rip their hope from them so I nodded once to Daryl as I spoke her name. "He makes sense."

Shane's POV
Flash back • Escaping the city

Channels on the CB were full of nothing but static. Not one could come in clear. I'd been trying ever since we left. It wasn't just the signal that was messed up. Everything was dead. The bumper to bumper stopped traffic backed up for miles since everyone tried to flee the city at once.

"We'll be back before dark all right, little man?" He only nodded up at me. Probably upset Lori told he couldn't come with us. Carl stayed with Carol and her family so we could scout up ahead to see what the hold up was.

Lori waited till we were out of ear shot to speak. "Why would they stop broadcasting about the refugee center?"

As if I had any answers. "I don't know."

"You think they're turning people away?" She kept her voice hushed trying to not cause panic as we weaved through the crowd.

Over my cold dead body. "They'd have a riot on their hands if they tried."