Chapter 1

Beatrix's POV:

Breath in. Breath out. I stared out my fogged window while nervously fiddling with my hands. The first day of 9th grade. I'd spent my break cooped up in my room watching movies while my father had taken my step mother and brother to Greece to escape the dreadful weather of Scotland. Dad had asked me to come along but Sarah, dad's wive had freaked out and begged dad not to let me come. He ofcourse obliged and I was left alone.

"Beatrix, get done!" Sarah yelled from downstairs, annoyance laced her words. I took a look in the mirror, my thighs touched and i could see my stomach abit, my skirt was just above my knees and my blazer was oversized, having belonged to Apollo, my hair was pulled back in a braid and I looked like a ghost. I grabbbed my bag from my chair before quickly going down stairs. Apollo was already seated by the table scrolling through his phone. Apollo is Sarah's son, he had the same blonde hair and piercing blue eyes. Apollo is 2 years older than me and pretends I do not exist.

Dad was also sat at the table, sipping his coffee while reading emails on his computer. "Morning da" I say sitting down next to him, across from Apollo. "Ah Beatrix" he said with his thick Scottish accent, he looks up smilling before going almost immediately back to the screen infront of him. Apollo glanced up slightly, I smiled at him hoping a response but nothing came.

Sarah's hills clicked against the wood floor as she entered the kitchen. "Beatrix it's such a pity you couldn't come with us to Greece, you are as pale as a ghost" she laughed, dad even let out a chuckel while patting my head. "Right, you two need to get to school" dad said getting up.

Apollo drove us to school in complete silence, he never spoke to me. Apollo James Stewart- Mister popular. Every girl who attends Greenwood High has atleast had a crush on Apollo, I couldn't blame them either. Apollo is tall, athletic with blonde hair and blue eyes. His also captain of the rugby team along with that his a prefect.

Apollo parks as far away from the entrance so no one sees him with me. He mutters a bye before walking away. I'll always admit when I'm scared and in this moment I'm mortified. The weather does not make me feel any better, it's freezing cold and my black stokings and blazer are not helping.

I slowly started walking towards the building. "Beatrix!" Someone calls out, I turn around to see Zara Yon walking towards me. Please tell me I'm dreaming. Zara has been bothering me since the 1st grade, she also happens to have the biggest crush on Apollo. "I see you've picked up afew pounds haven't you Beatrix mmh?" She smiles as she approaches. "Thanks" I mumble. "It's a pity really, you have such a pretty face but it's round" I gulp as I start picking at the skin on my hand until it started bleeding, Zara continued for 5 more dreadful minutes about my weight, my height, my hair, my skin. Everything she could comment about, she did. Zara is pretty, with tanned skin and curly black hair. She has long legs and looks like she belongs on the cover of vogue.

I walked away from her, tears falling down my cheeks. I slide down the white cold wall as I tried not to cry. First day and I'm already hiding at the back of the school. I had my head tucked in my knees as I sobbed softly. "You alright love?" A deep voice mumbled softly. I looked up to find a boy peering down at me. He had dark green eyes with pitch black wavy hair. I sniffled and looked down again "I'm ok" I whispered.

He suddenly sat down next to me, looking for something in his blazers pocket he pulled out three items, a lighter, a cigarette and a caramel. He handed me the caramel as he lights his cigarette. I stared down at the caramel, their my favorite but I thought about what Zara said. "What, you don't like caramels?" He asked, inhaling smoke from his cigarette. "It's my favorite" I smiled softly looking up at him. "Then why aren't you eating it?" He says staring at me, his eyes are piercing through me. I inhale deeply. "To much sugar" I say not meeting his gaze. "Let me guess, someone said some shit they pulled out of their finger about how you look, now you don't want to eat your favorite candy" He couldn't of been more right. I nodded my head slowly, embarrassed. "Who was it?" He said exhaling smoke. I don't know why i did what I did next but I suddenly felt safe, he made me feel safe.

"Zara Yon" I whispered. "Sweetheart, she looks anorexic. Ignore her" he said smirking at me. I smiled softly at him. "What's your name?" I ask while unwrapping the caramel. "Alistair darling" he exhales smoke before turning my way. "What about you?" He asks. I can't meet his gaze. "Beatrix" he looks amused. "Traveller" he says, his voice is husky and deep. I look up at me, tilting my head to the right. "Your name means voyager or traveller in Latin" he finally draws one last time from his cigarette before pressing it to the concrete. "If anyone ever talks to you in the wrong way or looks at you in the wrong way, tell me. I'll make sure they suffer" he whispers in my ear. He gets up pulls another caramel from his blazers pocket and hands it to me before walking off.

I burn a shade of red and I suddenly struggle to breath. I've never felt this way before. Alistair smelt like smoke and spoke like silver. His tall and has a dark cloud that follows him around. He has broad shoulders and wore a silver bracelet. There was something about him the made me feel safe in way, I wanted to him to hold me as I cried about my dad and Sarah. I wanted him comfort me when I struggled eating.

I wondered who he was and where he came from, before today I'd never seen him at school. I'd just met him and yet I missed him.

"So children how was school today?" Dad asked cheerfully. Dad sat at the head of the table, Sarah sat across from him. Apollo sat on the right side of the table while I sat across from him and that's how it's always been since Sarah and dad got married. "Good, got a bunch of chocolates and letters from the girls choir to welcome me back and wishing me a good school year" he chuckled before taking a sip of his drink. "Atta boy" dad cheered. "My little Heartbreaker" Sarah reached across the table to grab Apollo's hand. "Beatrix, what about you?" Dad asked with a raised eyebrow. "It was ok, um Apollo-" I paused for a moment before continuing "-do you know who Alistair is?" I asked fiddling with the end of my braid. "Alistair?" He questioned. I mumbled a yes waiting for him to respond. "Tall, broody looking guy?" He questioned again. "Um sure..." he looked amused. "Fucking freak" he said taking a bite of food.

"Whos Alistair?" Sarah asked her son. "His that kid who keeps coming to school with bruised knuckles but his really smart, top in our grade and always has been" he paused, thinking about what else to say. "Never speaks but when he does, can't understand a thing he says" dad listen curiously. "Has a deep voice and a heavy accent"

Dad turned to me "did you meet this him today or see him?" He questioned. Apollo raised his eyebrows waiting for a response. "No...I had heard his name somewhere and was curious" I said quickly. "Better stay away from him" Apollo warned. Dad immediately agreed "your brothers right, the kid sounds like a freak" everyone laughed at that but me. His not a freak. I wanted to scream but I kept my mouth knowing the consequences of that action.

After dinner and cleaning the dishes, I went upstairs to took a steaming hot shower, the water was so hot that when I got out I was dizzy and almost passed out. My skin was red and was sensitive but I through on a romper and started sketching in my art journal. My art journal is my secret haven, I hide it under a lose wooden floorboard in my room along with a bunch of small items that I don't want Sarah to get her hands on. My art journal, my mother's necklace and wedding ring, a picture of mother and a stuffed animal my mom gifted to me at birth.

After sketching a simple sunflower, I put it neatly back under the floorboard and crawled into bed, hiding away from the world under my sheets. I couldn't understand why Alistair said what he said to me and why I felt the way I do. I still had the caramel in my blazer that he gave to me, I prayed I'd see him tomorrow.