Chapter 57

November 13, 2024

"Are you two friends?" his father suddenly asks.

"No, dad, he's actually my-" Zeke said.

"Best friend," Auntie Rona butted in, smiling.

What? Does his father still not know that I'm his son's boyfriend? I thought his parents already knew about it.

"Oh, I see," his father said.

I fell silent, and all that's running through my mind is to get out of here as soon as possible.

"I need to go to the restroom," I whispered to Zeke.

"Okay, I'll take you," he said.

"No, you don't have to come," I said.

"Are you sure?" he asks.

"Yeah," I said, and he let go of his grasp on my hand.

"Excuse me, sir," I said, and I stood up.

I hurriedly went out of the room, and I breathed a sigh of relief as soon as I got out.

Fuck! That was so... suffocating.

"Miss, where's the restroom?" I ask one of the staff.

"It's at the end of the hall," she answered.

"Thank you," I replied, smiling.

I went there, and I washed my hands in the sink. Then I take a look at myself in the mirror.

"You can do this, Elijah," I said to myself.

"Talking to yourself? That's not good," someone said, and I frowned when I saw him.

"What are you doing here?" I ask.

"Taking a break," he answered.

"Tsk!" I said, and I closed my eyes and tried to relax my breath.

"Best friend, huh?" he said, chuckling a little.

"If I were him, I wouldn't do that to you," he added.

"I would stand up to my father and tell him right away," he continued.

That's what I'm going to do too, but we all have our differences. I know Zeke will tell his father about us, but he has his reasons for not doing it yet.

Fuck! This shit is making me crazy.

"What the fuck are you doing here?" Zeke suddenly asked as soon as he saw the both of us inside.

"Zeke," I called.

"Are you okay? Did he do something to you?" he asks when he gets closer to me.

"Tsk! Relax, buddy. I won't do anything to your best friend," Zandro replied, smirking.

Zeke immediately grabbed Zandro by the collar, and I instantly stopped him from punching Zandro.

"Zeke, stop it," I said.

"What? Your mom's the one who said it, right?" Zandro mockingly replied.

"Hey, I said stop it," I said, glaring at Zandro.

"Look, if you don't have the balls to say it to your father, then I'll gladly do it for you," Zandro mockingly said.

"Fuck you," Zeke said, gritting his teeth.

Zandro just laughed at him, so Zeke tightened his grip on his collar even more.

"Zeke, please stop it," I pleadingly said.

"You should listen to your best friend," Zandro said.

Zeke let go of his grasp on Zandro's collar, and Zandro fixed his clothes first before he looked at Zeke.

"I repeat, you can just tell me, buddy. I'll gladly do it for you," Zandro teasingly said.

"I don't need you to tell him, and don't call me buddy, asshole," Zeke said, glaring at Zandro.

"Woah! That's huge coming from you. Am I really an asshole? You really have the gut to say that to me?" Zandro sarcastically said, and Zeke just clenched his fist.

"I guess you're not just a treacherous bitch, huh? You're also a coward," Zandro mockingly said.

In an instant, Zeke landed a punch on Zandro's face, which made him stumble on the ground.

"I told you I wouldn't go easy on you if you tried to mess with him. I even asked you nicely to stay away from him," Zeke said, clenching his jaw.

"Well, I remember that you didn't even ask me when you took the girl I loved for a long time away from me," Zandro mockingly said, and Zeke fell silent.

"Aqui, let's go," Zeke said, grabbing my hand.

Fuck! This is getting out of hand.

"Zeke, why does he always call you that?" I ask.

"Don't listen to him," he answered, not looking at me.

"But-" I said, and he interrupted me.

"Besides, I told you not to come near him or talk to him, right?" he frustratingly said.

"I didn't come near him," I said.

"Really? He gave you a ride, and you two talk inside as well," he sarcastically said.

"I didn't mean for that to happen," I said.

"You know what? Just listen to me and stop talking to him, okay?" he said, and I could only nod my head.

I didn't ask him again because he's still pissed and I don't want us to fight, but deep down inside, I'm so curious to know what really happened to the both of them.

He opened the door, and we both got inside and took our seats.

"It was nice talking to you, Alfred," Zeke's father said.

"It was nice talking to you too, Rodolfo. Let's discuss it again next time," Zandro's father said.

"It was nice seeing you, Zerena. You have turned into a fine and beautiful young lady," Uncle Rodolfo said.

"Thank you, Mr. Alvarez," Zerena said, smiling.

"I'll see you again, Russelle," Zerena's father said.

"For what?" Zeke asks.

"You'll know when the time comes, son," Uncle Rodolfo said.

"That's right, son. Anyway, we'll go ahead now," Zerena's father said.

"Let me walk you out, Alfred," Uncle Rodolfo said, and they took their leave.

"Zerena, where's your brother?" his father asks.

"Let's just meet him outside, father," Zerena said.

When they all left, it was just me, Zeke, and Auntie Rona who were left inside.

"Mom, what was that?" Zeke asks his mother.

"What?" Auntie Rona asks.

"Why would Mr. Monclair see me again?" he asks.

"Uhm... it's probably about business, son," she answered.

"I need to go home," I said.

"I'll take you home, but I'll introduce you to my father first," he said.

"We met already," I said with a hint of sadness in my voice.

"No, I'll properly introduce you to him," he said.

"Russelle, maybe it's not the right time for them to meet," Auntie Rona said.

"Mom, why are you saying that? Do you think dad won't agree to our relationship?" Zeke asks.

"Son, it's not that. It's just that your father-" Auntie Rona said.

"What relationship are you talking about?" someone said, and we were all surprised to see Uncle Rodolfo frowning as he opened the door.

"Dad," Zeke said.

"What? Are you in a relationship? With whom? Why didn't I know?" Uncle Rodolfo asks.

"Russelle," Auntie Rona said, but Zeke was persistent.

"Dad, I want you to meet Elijah again," Zeke said.

Uncle Rodolfo looked at me confusedly before he said, "I met him already. He's your best friend, right?"

"He's not my best friend, dad," Zeke said.

Fuck! I'm nervous as hell. What if he gets angry? What if he doesn't approve of our relationship?

"What? What do you mean? I'm confused, son," Uncle Rodolfo said.

"He's my boyfriend, dad," Zeke said, taking a deep breath.

Oh, shit!

His father fell silent, and then he frowned, and then he looked at his son, and then he took a look at me too. I could only bow my head and wait for him to say something.

"What did you say?" his father asks.

"Elijah is not my best friend, dad. He's actually my boyfriend," Zeke repeated, keeping his head up to his father.

"Is that so?" his father said.

"Yes, dad," Zeke answered.

"Well, nice to meet you again, Elijah," Uncle Rodolfo said, handing his hand to me.

Oh, he's cool with it?

"Nice to meet you too, sir," I said, forcing a smile.

He chuckled before saying, "You're too formal, Elijah. Just call me uncle."

"Sure, uncle," I said, chuckling a little.

"That's great, but I'm afraid I have to take my rest now. You see, I flew for almost a day to get here," uncle said.

"Yeah, I understand, uncle," I said.

"Honey, let's go," uncle said, looking at Auntie Rona.

Auntie Rona looked at us and just smiled.

"I'll see you again, Elijah," she said.

"Okay, auntie," I said.

"I'm proud of you, son," she said, cupping Zeke's cheek.

"Thanks, mom," Zeke replied, smiling.

"Are you going home with us?" Aunt Rona asks.

"No, I'll take him home to their apartment first," Zeke said.

"Okay, I'll see you later," she said.

"Yeah," he said.

"Take care, auntie," I said.

"Thank you, Eli," she said, and then she followed her husband outside.

"Let's go. I'll take you home," he said.

"Okay," I replied, and we went out of the restaurant as well.

We took a cab, and he told the driver the address.

He held my hand and intertwined our fingers.

"I'm glad your father was cool with it," I said.

"Yeah, I'm glad as well," he said.

We arrived at our apartment in a couple of minutes, and we went inside together.

"Hey, what's up?" Cal asks.

"How did it go?" Adie asks.

"What are you guys talking about?" I ask.

"Your meeting earlier," Cal said.

"Meeting his father," Adie simultaneously said.

"It both went well," I answered.

"That's it? Tell us the details, dummy," Cal said.

"Tsk! I'm tired already. I'll tell you guys later or tomorrow," I said.

"Aww," Adie said.

"He met my dad already, and he was cool with it," Zeke said.

"That's great, bro. Uncle Rodolfo can be terrifying sometimes," Enzo said.

"Hell yeah," Leo muttered.

"Is he?" Cal asks, and Leo nods.

"Anyway, I'm happy that he's cool with you two," Leo said.

"Thank you, bro," Zeke said.

I let them talk there while I went inside my room to take fresh clothes. I need to take a nice bath to relax myself.

After a while, he followed me inside my room and took a seat on my bed.

"Aqui, come here," he said.

"Hmm," I said, and I walked closer to him, but he pulled my hand and wrapped his arms around my waist.

"My parents now know about us," he said.

"Didn't your father know it before? I thought you already mentioned me to him," I said.

"I was about to, but I didn't have the chance because mom thought he might be shocked about it," he said.

"Hmm, okay," I said.

"I swear, I really had a plan to tell him last year," he said.

"Yeah, I know," I said, cupping his cheeks.

"Now, can you tell me what happened with you and that motherfucker?" he asks.

"With Zandro?" I ask.

"Yeah," he said.

"I said it to you already," I answered.

"I need to know what exactly happened," he said.

"I'm tired, Zeke," I said, and I pulled away from his embrace.

"Eli, we should talk about this," he said.

I sighed before I answered, "Fine."

"What happened earlier?" he asks.

"After the meeting with the sports festival committee, I went out and he waited for a cab, but there was no one coming. Then, his car stopped in front of me, and he asked if I needed a ride home, and of course, I declined," I explained.

"Okay, and?" he asks.

"Then he said he was meeting you, and he asks me again to come with him so I don't have to commute. He then blabs again about... you, and I took the bus, but the bus got broke, so I had to wait again. Then he asks me for the last time if I want to tag along with him, and I decided to agree because it's either I'm going to be late or I can make it to the restaurant in time," I added.

"Tsk! You should've told me about the bus. I can ask Enzo to pick you up," he said.

"Why would you ask Enzo to pick me up? Do you really have to bother him on this? For god's sake, he's not a chauffeur," I said, frowning.

"What? Of course, I know he's not a chauffeur, but why would you think that it's okay for you to come inside that asshole's car?" he frustratingly said, slightly raising his voice.

"I don't have a choice, okay?" I rebutted, raising my voice as well.

"Don't tell me that you don't have a choice, Aqui. You know better than saying that you don't have a choice," he said, and I fell silent.

He was right. Of course, I always had a choice. I can choose not to go with Zandro and just wait for the bus to come.

"Did you even think of me when you decided to go with him? Did you even think of what I would feel if I saw you two coming together?" he asks.

"Tell me, did you think about me?" he asks again, waiting for my answer.

"I got curious, okay? Is that what you want to hear?" I said, widening my eyes.

"Curious of what? Of him?" he shockingly asks.

"He told me about how you betrayed him," I said, and he was surprised.

"He told me how you stole the girl he loved and took her away from him," I added.

"What?" he asks, frowning.

"Did you really do it?" I ask, looking directly into his eyes.

"Are you serious?" he asks, clenching his jaws.

I didn't answer. I just looked at him in the eyes, not breaking our contact.

He chuckled for a second, and I instantly got nervous.

"Do you believe him?" he asks.

I didn't have the chance to speak. I was busy thinking about what Zandro told me.

When he noticed that I didn't answer, he instantly clenched his jaws.

"Fuck!" he yelled.

I was shocked, and my heart started to beat faster.

"Hey, are you guys okay?" Cal asks, knocking on the door.

"For fuck's sake, Aqui! Do you really believe that asshole?!" he exclaimed.

"I don't want to, so tell me what happened!" I yelled back.

"I already told you not to mind it," he weakly said.

"How should I believe you if you don't tell me a thing?" I ask, panting.

He sarcastically chuckled a little before he said, "I can't believe you."

Fuck! I looked at him, and I saw sorrow in his eyes.

Oh, shit!

"I'm going in," I heard Cal say, and he opened the door.

Meanwhile, Zeke just shakes his head and walks out of my room.

"Hey, what happened to you two?" Cal asks Zeke, but Zeke didn't bother to answer him.

He just continued walking until I heard a loud bang coming from the door.

"Eli, are you guys okay? Why were you guys shouting?" Cal worriedly asks.

"I'm sorry," I said, and I took a seat on my bed.

Cal sat beside me and touched me on the shoulder.

"Did you guys fight?" he asks.

"No, it was just a misunderstanding," I answered.

"Take it easy, okay?" he said.

"Yeah, I'm sorry again," I said.

"I hope you two can make it up today," he said.

"Yeah, thank you, Cal," I said.

"I'll let you take a rest now," he said, and he left me.

"Fuck! What happened?" I ask myself.

Did I just hurt him? Aish! I'm so dumb.

Why did I get swayed by that asshole's words? I shouldn't have believed that fucker. Now I'm fighting with my boyfriend because of him.

"I'm so sorry, Zeke," I said.

How could I console him now? I think he's really angry and hurt.

But he should've told me from the start. I would believe him over Zandro. If only he told me in the beginning what happened between them, then I wouldn't have to think about this from time to time.

I lay down on my bed, and I didn't notice that I fell asleep without talking to Zeke that night.