1. alley rose

nicholas and euijoo were new to town. they'd just purchased an old house. it had been passed down so many times through the family until the latest kin ran into some debt. the home was repossessed and placed on the market where the newly weds found the charming home and decided that's where they wanted to start their family.

interestingly, every room in the house was empty except of course the kitchen and bathrooms. and the attic.

the movers had just finished loading everything off the truck and the foyer of the charming old house was cluttered with brown boxes all labeled with different titles.

until sun down the couple worked on unpacking as best as they could, most of their things already set out where they needed to be. at least for the night.

"a lot of this stuff could be stored in the attic," nicholas suggested with a soft hum as he picked up a box marked with the words 'summer clothes'. it was fall so it seemed unnecessary to keep them out.

"there's an attic?" euijoo answered as he grabbed a box as well, this one labeled, 'books'.

the couple made their way to the stairwell, heaving the boxes upstairs before stopping at a door which at first seemed like an empty broom closet until nicholas pulled down the trap door, letting the ladder down. "woah.." euijoo commented as dust began flying out from the contraption.

"i know old is charming and all.." nicholas commented as he waved his arm about to clear the dust in the air.

euijoo climbed up first and nicholas soon followed after. they were shocked to see the attic was mostly filled already with what seemed to be the previous owners personal items.

"that's so sad.." euijoo expressed and placed the box of books down, taking a look around the space when he noticed a certain box with an interesting label.

"maki and harua '98" he read aloud softly as his husband soon trailed after him.

nicholas was curious as was euijoo. they both exchanged a look as they tried to decide if this was disrespectful to rummage through someone's keepsakes. although, they did pay for the house.. it was technically their property now.

after a long glance between the couple, nicholas carefully lifted the top of the box off. inside there were stacks of developed photos and polaroids as well as two journals. one was titled with the name 'maki' and the other was titled 'harua'.

"wanna play nancy drew?" nicholas playfully spoke, handing maki's journal to euijoo as he held onto harua's.

the both opened the journals and found dates on the top of the pages.

at the top of maki's was "06/01/98" and at the top of harua's was "05/05/98"

"found the beginning." nicholas announced and pointed to the scribbled date on the header.

'i picked you up from the corner store. your eyes were red and your lips were torn. so much to say that's subject sore.'

harua had been waiting on the large step outside of the corner store, his hands tucked tightly in his pockets as he waited outside for his friend.

the bell soon rung over the door and the younger male came skipping out with a lollipop hanging from his lips.

his face was puffy, eyes drab and his lips were cut and dry. the dye from his red candy and the blood from his cuts colored his lips as he flashed a half smile to harua.

"how'd you know i'd be here?" maki asked curiously as he swung his arm around harua's shoulder, trying his best to seem normal.

"fuma-kun," harua simply answered as he leaned into maki's warm body.

in the middle of summer most people tended to stay away from physical contact but not harua and maki. every chance they got, no matter the weather. they were stuck like glue.

maki simply shrugged and held harua close. "what are we doing today?" he asked curiously, his strong hand rubbing harua's shoulder gently.

"i have to develop some photos," harua explained. "and i have to take some..!" maki stated with enthusiasm as he took harua's hand and began pulling him back towards their homes.

the run was short but by the time they reached the steps of harua's house they were both out pf breath. but, for maki it was different.

he coughed vigorously into his elbow, holding his candy in the meantime.

"hey- sit down," harua advised, pulling maki to sit on the steps, rubbing his back to help him catch his breath. "don't overexert," harua advised out of pure concern.

maki always saw it as pity though. he was just as capable as everyone else. being chronically ill wouldn't change that. if it wasn't overexertion for harua then it wasn't for making either.

he was so stubborn.

"we have photos to get to," maki changed the subject as soon as he caught his breath, trudging up the stairs and into harua's house.

harua sat for a moment though. he couldn't help but worry. he loved maki, more than he knew.. it meant too much to him that he stay healthy. maki just didn't quite grasp the severity of his illness.

"you wrapped your fingers around my neck and pulled me into your desperate breath"

nicholas read the passage aloud, looking at euijoo who was listening attentively. "that's sweet, maki took photos of them and harua developed them," he commented with a lilted smile, soon digging into the box to see if he could find some photos matching the date of the entry.

it didn't take very long. at the top of the stack of photos there were at least ten photos of the boys on May 5th. "which is maki?" nicholas asked curiously, looking at the photos with his husband curiously.

"him. i think?" euijoo answered as he pointed to the blonde boy in the photo.

"why do you think so?"

"he looks tired and paler than he does, i'm assuming harua." euijoo explained and flipped through the photos with his husband. "they're sweet," nicholas spoke quietly, euijoo nodding in answer.

"do you think they're like us?" euijoo asked curiously, pecking his husband's lips.

"let's keep reading and see."