Chapter 44

Chapter 44

"Wow, that's intense," Bakura said in wonder. We were sitting on my couch the day after Battle City ended. I invited him over so I could explain to him everything that happened. I figured I owed him that much.

"I'm sorry about what happened to you," I said.

Bakura shook his head with a smile on his face. "That's alright, Samia. It's not your fault." His emotions told me he was being honest. I smiled slightly at him in return. Then his eyes fell on the Millennium Ring around my neck, and he became worried. "Are you sure you don't want me to take that back?"

I shook my head. "If I do that, the Spirit of the Millennium Ring will just control you again. He can't do any harm if the Ring is with me."

But it would be so much more fun, said the Spirit. I ignored him.

"I guess that's a good point," said Bakura. "Are you sure he can't control you?"

I nodded. "I'm not the true owner of the Ring. Plus, I'm immune to the magic of the Millennium Items. The Spirit can talk to me, but he can't do anything to harm me."

As if I would have such a desire, said the Spirit.

He doesn't know that, I said to him.

The tension eased from Bakura. "Well, alright," he said. "I trust you. Just let me know if you need anything."

I gave him a small smile. "Thanks, Bakura. I'm glad we can talk again."

Bakura smiled warmly in return. "Me too."

I felt better after talking to him. Still, there were things on my mind I still needed to process. Primarily, I remembered the kiss Yami had given me. I wondered if it meant anything to him aside from the act of giving me physical strength. I decided to talk to him the next day to see if I could find out.

"How are you feeling, Samia?" Yami asked me once we were alone in my room, Yugi agreeing to give us some privacy.

"I'm doing alright," I said. "The last few days are just a lot to take in."

Yami nodded. "I understand. I think you acted remarkably well given the circumstances."

I looked at him in surprise. "Really? Even when I lied to you and joined Marik?"

Yami gave me a soft smile. "I understand why you did it. If I had been more open to your views from the start, you would have been comfortable enough to confide in me. Just know that you can tell me anything. I will never judge you, and I will always do what I can to support you."

I smiled warmly at him in return while happiness filled my soul. "Thank you. I'll always support you too."

"Thank you. Is there anything else you wanted to talk about?"

I paused. His emotions were calm. "Not really. Is there anything you wanted to talk about?"

"No, I believe we covered it all."

"Okay. Then we're good." I hid my emotions from him and smiled. It seemed he was not thinking about our kiss. I would have to bring it up to him later.

What did you really want to talk about? the Spirit of the Millennium Ring asked once Yami left.

Nothing, I replied.

Sure...

If you want to talk, why don't you tell me about Rehema?

I felt a slight shift in his emotions. Who?

She's my ancestor, isn't she? You said her name once.