Chapter 2

Newt stared absentmindedly as he saw the maze close. His whole body was petrified, frozen, unable to move.

Thomas was the first to move. He sprinted down the glade, stopping at the dirt mound in front of the dark door. Newt shuffled forward and broke into a run as he began to join the other boys clustered around the door.

"What in the shuck!" Gally shouted, banging his hands on the door. He was tall, and muscular, with black hair and brown eyes.

Alby stepped forward and placed a calming hand on Gally's trembling shoulder.

"It's okay, Gally-" Alby started to say.

"NO! It's NOT okay!" Gally practically screamed at Alby's face. "Four runners were OUT there! FOUR!" His face contorted in anger and red.

"Look, they're all going to make it out alive," Newt added cheerfully. "They're the strongest of us. That's why we chose them to be our runners. They will make it out."

Or that's what Newt hoped so. Deep down, Newt had an unsettling feeling that didn't belong there. A troubled feeling. His body began to shake as Newt wanted to believe Minho and the others would make it out of the maze, but his thoughts told him otherwise. If the doors didn't open until nightfall... Newt didn't want to think about it.

Thomas enveloped Newt in a hug as Newt was on the verge of tears. His friends. The gladers. Their friends. Back here, everyone was like a family, eating together, working together, spending time together, living together.

"It's okay, Newt." Thomas gently said. He pulled back slowly, muttering another "Sorry" before walking back to the Homestead.

Thomas sighed. He had only been in the glade for about two weeks now, and he had just gotten used to the maze and how it worked. He sat down on his hammock in the shelter made out of wood. He was pondering about what was happening inside the maze right this instant. Was Minho still alive? Minho was sassy, yes, he'd give him that, but Minho was still his friend ever since he came up from that box.

Newt entered the room, looking worried, his eyebrows scrunched together. He plopped down next to Thomas and played around with his fingers.

"Do you think they're going to be alright?" Thomas blurted out, unable to keep the thought to himself.

"Oh, don't worry. They will come out alive. If the doors open until night." Newt said sarcastically. Thomas tried to say something to Newt but stopped himself. Newt wasn't being himself today. Newt felt different as if he was a totally different person.

"If they don't come back..." Thomas started but was cut off by Newt.

"Don't worry about it. As Alby said, don't worry about it." Newt's words hung around in the air as silence followed.

Thomas sighed and leaned back in his hammock.

"Newt, you're acting weird today," Thomas admitted, as he closed his eyes.

"I am?" Newt scoffed, rising to look up at Thomas. "Maybe because our friends are out there and who knows what is happening inside those walls right now. And you're just lying down?!"

Thomas bit his lips and turned his head away from Newt. Newt wouldn't say those words. He wouldn't and would never in the future.

Newt sighed. "Look, I'm sorry, I shouldn't have yelled at you like that. I'm just worried about Minho, Ben, George, and Winston. I've known them for over five years, and I-" he faltered, looking down at his feet, ashamed of himself for shouting at Thomas when he had done nothing wrong. It wasn't Thomas's fault that the doors to the Maze just closed.