𝟏𝟏 | 𝐂𝐨𝐦𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐜𝐥𝐞𝐚𝐧.

Whistling captured my concentration as Rick called me over to where he, Shane and Jimmy were studying the map at the truck. "See how they do at practice then take your pick." Rick just finished speaking when I made it.

"What's up?" I ask crossing my arms across my chest.
I felt Jimmy burning a hole through me while we spoke.

"Gun training, then checking out a housing development. No one leaves without a partner anymore since the Daryl's accident. Spread the word?"

"Alright but I'm going." Quickly to disagree Rick gave me a pointed look. "No, you're still healing."

"I wasn't asking. I've sat around on my ass for days."
He didn't stand a chance to win this one. Footsteps came up from behind me. "That's the longest he's rode the bench in the last few years." Danny chuckled.

Rick was outvoted silently making him concede.
I took an apple from Glenn's basket as he handed them out. His ghostly pale stare lingering on us longer than it needed to as he drew attention to himself.

"You okay?" Danny asked him. His focus was pulled by Lori who watched us from a distance. He awkwardly shuffled away after handing Shane binoculars.

"Nate." Rick signaled behind me. Beth was walking towards us with Patricia making my mind leave Lori.

"Hi." I greeted them.

Beth had a straight face as she looked from her boyfriend Jimmy to me. "We'd like to join you for gun training today." Looking over my shoulder I seen the subtle rejection in Rick's face so I turned back to her.

"Beth, I'd love to have everyone go through training. It's important but Hershel made it clear we aren't to involve you guys in anything we do without his okay. I'm sorry." I shrugged.

"He doesn't like it, but he consented." She rebutted.

"Otis was the only one who knew guns. Now that he's gone we need to learn how to protect ourselves." Patricia added. 

Rick stepped to my side. "No offense but I'll ask Hershel myself." I didn't blame him for wanting to double check after what's happened the last day or two.

Shane walked off but we barely said much else when he came back looking mad at the world. Carl had asked him to teach him how to shoot. That's when he found a gun tucked in his waistband like he had seen us all carry ours before.

Lori, Rick, Shane, Dale and myself were having a private conversation about it. "How'd this happen?" Lori asked.

"Well it's my fault. I let him into the RV. He said you wanted a walkie. Did you send him for you?" Dale asked Rick as he shook his head in disbelief.

"So on top of everything else he lied?" Lori collected the facts as we all looked over to where Carl sat on a tree stump.

"He wants to learn how to shoot. He asked me to teach him how. It's none of my business but I'm happy to do it." Shane defended the idea.

Lori looked like she was about to strangle him with her bare hands and while I loved that image I spoke.

"I think it's a good idea too. We always planned on teaching him when he got a little older but things change. He needs to know how to properly defend himself with the way things are now."