𝟏𝟒 | 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐛𝐚𝐫𝐧.

Firearms

Firearms. That's the first thing I seen clearly as Beth and I were almost back with the others in front of the house. I could've convinced myself that it wasn't real. But seeing Miller throw the strap over his neck belonging to his assault rifle confirmed it. Maybe I shouldn't have left Shane alone earlier?

"Nate...what's going on? Daddy said no guns." She quickened her pace to match mine as we start running.

"I'll handle it." Lori's eyes never left Shane's as he remained kneeled down in front of her. She called out my name as we approached. Shane had been trying to hand a pistol to Carl who remained where he was facing the man before Lori placed herself between them.

"Shane, what the hell are you doing? Where's Rick?"
I demanded to know watching as he stood up turning to face me. Beth ran up the porch steps to join Maggie, Patricia.

"Negotiating." Shane spoke antagonistically with the bag of guns he held.

My hands were on my hips as I closed my eyes for a second. When I opened them I watched as he pulled out the familiar scoped M27 Infantry assault rifle with the faded tan strap. My conflicting feelings were eating at me as I looked down at my most prized possession.

"You want to wait around till they cup a feel again or are you with me?" He shrugged to me as he waited for my response.

"Nate, you can't do this. My dad will kick you all out tonight." Maggie tried to reach me from Shane's influence. "Please."

Doing a quick glance back at the group I noticed most of the men and Andrea were now armed waiting for the green light. "Nate, we doing this?" Danny asked.

With one last look to Shane he raised the gun up just by another inch. He lowered his voice. "Anything or anyone who threatens our family, right?"

Just like that I was sold. I didn't say a word as I took my gun from his hold. I instantly felt a sense of relief having it back for the first time after being without it. It wasn't that long ago but after a decade and surviving multiple war zones with it, I found peace in the deadly weapon.

"What the hell?" T-Dog questioned something off in the outer edge of the farm. Rick, Hershel and Jimmy were with two walkers making their way towards the barn.

Shane and I took off running followed by everyone else. Pushing through the gate I can clearly see Rick guiding the walker on a leash with the stick it's attached to. Hershel doing the same as Jimmy guided them. "Rick what the hell?!"

"Are you kidding me?!" Shane yelled as he circled around the two. "You see what he's holding onto!?" He pointed at the walker furiously as the others caught up to us.