1

Kly Gail's days followed a simple routine: wake up, eat, clean, go to school, clean again, then sleep. Sounds like what any teenager might do, right? But for Kly, it's a bit more complicated. She's basically the parent to her younger cousin, doing all the cooking, cleaning, and grocery shopping.

But beneath the facade of domestic tranquility lay a tale of betrayal and broken promises. Kly's aunt, Shay Gail, used to be married to lawyer Chryst Tye, but that didn't last long. Uncle Chryst divorced Aunt Shay because she cheated. Talk about a shock!

Despite all the drama, Kly keeps going, quietly handling her responsibilities and dreaming of a different life.

As I dashed through the hallway, the weight of responsibility tugging at my heels, I couldn't shake the feeling of déjà vu. Another day, another mad dash to get my cousin, Fay, out of bed and ready for school.

"Fay? Are you awake?" I rapped on her door, hoping to rouse her from the depths of sleep. Silence greeted me, save for the faint murmur of her protestations.

"Fay, wake up! You're gonna be late!" I persisted, my patience wearing thin as the minutes slipped away.

With a groan, the door creaked open to reveal Fay's tousled figure, her eyes heavy with sleep. "Ugh... 5 more minutes, please," she pleaded, her voice laced with exhaustion.

I sighed, my resolve hardening as I gently nudged her towards the bathroom. "Yes, 5 more minutes, and then you'll be late. Go and get ready! It's the first day of school."

Fay Tye, the younger sister I never asked for but somehow ended up with, embodied a curious mix of innocence and obstinacy. Despite our shared bloodline, our bond was forged not by kinship but by circumstance. She was the daughter of Uncle Chryst and Aunt Shay, and while Fay saw me as her older sister, her mother viewed me as nothing more than a servant, a modern-day Cinderella in a suburban fairy tale gone wrong.

But as I watched Fay shuffle off to prepare for the day ahead, a flicker of determination ignited within me. No matter how many times Aunt Shay tried to tear us apart, I refused to let her extinguish the fragile flame of sisterhood that burned between us. Today, like every other day, I would stand as Fay's protector, her confidante, and her unwavering ally in the face of adversity.

A wry chuckle escaped my lips. "Pft! I sound like a prince charming saving a princess," I mused aloud, the irony not lost on me. After all, my life had been anything but a fairy tale.

Finally, after what felt like an eternity of pleading and bargaining with my aunt, I had won the battle to return to school. Two years of my education had been sacrificed at the altar of my aunt's pride and greed, as she deemed it a waste of resources without Uncle Chryst's financial support. But when word reached Uncle Chryst's ears, his fury was unleashed upon Aunt Shay, and he ensured that I would not be denied my right to an education.

Yet, as I stood on the precipice of this newfound freedom, a knot of nervous anticipation coiled in the pit of my stomach. It had been two long years since I last set foot in a classroom, two years of isolation and loneliness punctuated only by the fleeting companionship of my cousin Fay.

But now, as I contemplated the prospect of human interaction beyond the confines of my family, a wave of anxiety washed over me. Would I be able to navigate the complexities of social interaction after so long in solitude? Could I shed the cloak of depression that had enveloped me since the loss of my parents and embrace the possibility of friendship once more?

I steeled my resolve, determined to seize this opportunity for a fresh start. Yes, the past had been marred by tragedy and heartache, but I refused to let it define me any longer. With each step forward, I would reclaim a piece of myself that had been lost in the shadows of grief.

As I gazed into the mirror, my reflection stared back at me with a mixture of apprehension and hope. "Yes, before... things were difficult," I whispered, the memories of my parents' untimely demise still raw and painful. "But now, I have a chance to rewrite my story, to forge new connections and embrace the light of friendship once more. And this time, I won't let fear hold me back. I will make friends... I will."

After making sure I was ready, I headed to find Fay. The anticipation of our first day at Starlight University buzzed in the air like static electricity, and I couldn't wait to share the moment with her.

I found her in her room, meticulously adjusting her uniform, a picture of determination and poise. "Fay, you look great!" I exclaimed, admiring her neatly pressed uniform. "I bet you've got tons of guys lining up for you."

She blushed, swatting away my teasing. "Oh, stop it," she protested. "But have you seen yourself? You look stunning," she added, her words genuine.

I chuckled softly. "Yeah, the goddess of maid duty," I replied, a hint of self-deprecation in my tone. "Let's cut the compliments and hurry up. We don't want to be late."

As we entered Starlight University, the grandeur of the entrance took my breath away. "Welcome students!" the MC's voice boomed, filled with enthusiasm. "Wow, what an entrance," I muttered to myself, gratitude swelling in my chest. Uncle Chryst had made attending this top school in Moonville possible, a dream I never thought would come true.

Navigating the vast campus proved to be a challenge, and I found myself struggling to catch my breath. "This school is huge," I panted, feeling overwhelmed.

Fay laughed, her optimism contagious. "You're really excited, huh? We'll explore the school after class, get familiar with everything," she suggested.

"You're right," I agreed, though nerves still fluttered in my stomach.

After locating the school bulletin board, Fay quickly found her class assignment. "X6," she announced cheerfully. But when I searched for my name, dread washed over me. "S5," I muttered, disappointment sinking in. Why weren't we in the same class?

Fay tried to lift my spirits. "Maybe it's a chance for you to make new friends," she offered, her encouragement.

"Yeah, I want that, but..." I trailed off, uncertainty gnawing at me.

"You can do it, Kly! I believe in you!" Fay's words echoed in my mind as she left to find her classroom.

Alone with my thoughts, frustration bubbled up inside me. "Damn you, Fay! You traitor!" I muttered, though a part of me knew she only wanted the best for me.

I sighed, retrieving my iPhone 6 from my pocket. It wasn't the latest model, but it held sentimental value as the last gift from my parents before they tragically passed away. With a soft click, I attempted to capture a photo of the schedule displayed on the bulletin board.

Suddenly, a snide chuckle pierced the air, drawing my attention. I turned to find a tall, imposing figure smirking down at me, a cold iced coffee in hand.

"Huh? What's so funny?" I asked, irritated my tone as I met his mocking gaze.

He chuckled again, his tone dripping with disdain. "Is that an iPhone 6?" he taunted. "Wow, I thought those went extinct years ago."

My cheeks flushed with embarrassment and frustration. "Yeah, well, it still works just fine," I retorted, defensively clutching my phone.

He shrugged nonchalantly, taking a sip of his drink. "Sure, if you say so. But it's like using a stone-age relic in the age of smartphones," he remarked, his smirk widening.

Heat surged through me as anger bubbled up. "Mind your own business," I snapped, my patience wearing thin.

He raised an eyebrow, feigning innocence. "But I am minding my own business," he replied, before sauntering away, leaving me seething with frustration and confusion. What just happened? I wondered, shaking my head in disbelief. Some people were just so rude!