𝟐𝟎 | 𝐏𝐞𝐫𝐬𝐨𝐧𝐚𝐥 𝐜𝐡𝐨𝐢𝐜𝐞.

With the absence of gloom covering the town
the army of flesh-eating parasites could be now be seen. They lingered down below all throughout the streets. For the most part they were pretty well spread out instead being focused on their one location still.

"A day in the life of a selfless soldier." Danny stated sarcastically as we looked around.

The odds were against us but when were they not? Thankfully the town had been quiet since last night.

Once our boots touched the ground the battle against the dead was waged. The war cries of furious snarls and screeching moans filled the streets as they began to charge after us.

Our barbaric acts fueled by our will to live helped us retain as much of the ammunition as we could for emergency situations.

Shards of glass, thin metal rods from yard signs, tools such as hammers, edge clippers and shovels. Large rocks and loose bricks. If you could somehow cause blunt force to the cranium and puncture the brain then it was used.

Never in my life would I wish this on anyone, nor would we ever speak of this if we made it out.

The rounds that we had needed to be strategic. Shooting to kill had to be our last option with the objective being to get away.

3 shots. Windows shattered from the building across the way. The distraction granting handfuls of walkers to leave us be.

9 shots. Alarms rang out from an abandoned cars pulling swarms from the horde each time.

1 shot. A deer was used as bait. A small group mauled the animal allowing us time to tumble over a chainlink fence without being grabbed. We were exhausted and being gained on.

17 shots. Straight into the skulls of those who nearly had our limbs between their teeth.

8 shots. Covering Danny as he hot wired a vehicle. They were too overwhelming to take out physically.

Between fighting the dead slowly group by group, looking for food, water and finding secure places to hold up in we were gone nearly a week.

There was only so much we could do before needing to rest. The more stamina we used, the more we needed to recharge. There were just too many walkers. Plus when they started to crowd us we'd have to wait it out to let them split up which took awhile.

We didn't leave our hiding spots from sun set to sun rise either. We didn't need any more of a disadvantage.
When we finally did leave the town it wasn't unscathed. Our last day a piece of fence wire sliced a pretty nasty laceration on my thigh.

Danny used the bottom of his shirt, the bandannas and all of the gauze from the craft stores medical kit to try and stop the bleeding. It was all held firmly in place by my belt being wrapped tightly around my leg. It was impossible to tell what symptoms were from the blood loss or from the fighting we had to do.

We were sure Danny fractured a rib from the roof stunt. At one point a walker took him down and the only thing he had within reach was a shard of glass from a broken car window.

The force he had to use while gripping it cut two deep cuts. Thankfully that was before my thigh took the rest of our supplies so we had wrapped it and then placed my part of my shirt over the bandages.