Prologue

<><><>

I can't deny the nerves that I felt in this moment right here. 

I'm walking out of my apartment building and making my way to my car which was parked in the parking garage. 

It was 11 o'clock in the morning, and I was already running a bit late for my job interview at the biggest advertising firm in LA. This will also be the highest paying position that I would ever be able to attain. Assuming I land the job. Assuming I smash the interview... Assuming I even make it to the interview. 

I walked to my car a bit faster. 

The clicking sound of the high heels strapped onto my feet echoed throughout the parking garage, as I unlocked my car. It chirped, and I quickly settled myself inside, tossing my YSL purse into the passenger seat. I tried my best to look expensive and fit for the job. 

My curly hair was pinned back in a slick ponytail, and gold stud earrings sat on my ear lobes. I had on a black fitted dress with an elegant square neckline. The skirt of it penciled down with a slit at the back, but the taught nature of it honestly made it uncomfortable to drive. Regardless of comfort level, it hugged my figure well and I felt great in it. 

However, I worried I looked a little too sexy, and so I paired it with a sleek black blazer which fit me just right. I had to make sure for it to not look oversized or too small in any way, because blazers have a tendency to make me look like either a little boy, or a linebacker. But thankfully I went shopping a week prior to this and found one that fit me right and gave the illusion that I was petite and feminine. 

As I drove to the interview, I thought of all of the things I'd be asked, and told, and I tried not to work myself up too much over it. Sometimes it feels weird that I'm even looking for a job, because when I look in a mirror I still just see a child. 

But here I am: 21 years old, embarrassingly single, fresh out of college, and hoping to land a job at a huge firm while having absolutely no work experience. 

God, am I crazy for this? They'd be absurd to hire me. I look so young, and probably will seem confused about what I'm doing. And I wish I would've smoked some weed before this to calm my nerves, but showing up blazed as fuck definitely wouldn't make a good impression. 

I debated turning around and just going home, but I didn't let myself do that. Maybe it felt unlikely that I'd get this job, but there's a chance. And I shouldn't blow my chances before I even try. 

Taking deep breaths, and taking a sip of the coffee in my cup holder, I loosened up my shoulders and gave myself a once-over in the rearview mirror. 

"Ok, let's do this," I said to myself with a nod, as I grabbed my purse and got out of my car. Locking it and hearing it chirp, I threw my keys into my bag and headed for the door. 

Intimidated, scared, and anxious, I stepped through the automatic sliding doors and hoped that I was masking my fears well. 

I walked inside, and instantly I was a bit confused. It wasn't very crowded. In fact, there was literally no one here at all. I furrowed my eyebrows and walked towards the front desk, my heels clicking behind me as I walked, stepping on the tile floors. I nearly cringed at the sound, the loudness of my footsteps feeling obnoxious in such a large empty space. 

Once I reached the desk, there still was no one here. 

"Did I come on the wrong day or something?" I mumbled to myself, furrowing my thick eyebrows and looking at the watch on my wrist. But it said the date was August 12th, and the time was 12:00pm which is the exact time of my interview.