Get Online Society Registration in India

A society is an association of several individuals combined using a mutual accord to deliberate, govern, and act cooperatively for some communal purpose. Societies are usually registered for the advancement of charitable activities like sports, music, culture, religion, art, education, etc. Society Registration, under, The Society Registration Act, in India, lays down certain procedures for the sake of society registration & operation. This act was implemented to augment the legal stipulations of society registration for the advancement of literature, fine arts, science, or the distribution of awareness for bountiful purposes. The Society Registration Act, of 1860 has been accepted by several state governments without or with further amendments.

Purpose of Society Registration

A society registration can be done for the development of fine arts, science, or literature or else for the diffusion of purposeful knowledge or charitable purposes of political education. According to section 20 of the Society Act, of 1860, a society registration can be done for the following purposes:

1:Promotion of fine arts.

2:Diffusion of political education.

3:Grant of charitable assistance.

4:Promotion of science and literature.

5:Creation of military orphan funds.

6:Maintenance or foundation of galleries or public museums.

7:Maintenance or foundation of reading rooms or libraries.

8:Promotion or diffusion or instruction of useful knowledge.

9:Collections of natural history.

10: Collections of mechanical and philosophical inventions, designs, or instruments.

Registration of a Society In India

Following are some checklists for Society Registration in India:

1: A Society can be created by a minimum of 7 or more persons. Apart from persons from India, companies, foreigners, as well as other registered societies can also register for the Memorandum of Association of the Society.

2: Similar to Partnership firms, society can also be either unregistered or registered. However, only the registered societies will be able to withstand consigned properties and/or have an ensemble filed against or by the society.

3: Society registration is maintained by state governments. Thus, the application for society registration must be created to the specific authority of the state, where the registered office of the society is situated.

4: For Society registration, the establishing members must agree with the name of the society first and then prepare the Memorandum, followed by the Rules & Regulations of the society.

Selection of a Name and Memorandum of Association

Let's discuss the selection of name and memorandum of association

Selection of Name

When selecting a name for society registration, it is vital to understand that according to Society Act, of 1860, an identical or similar name of a currently registered society will not be allowed. Moreover, the proposed name shall not suggest any patronage of the state government or the government of India or fascinate the provisions of the Emblem & Names Act, of 1950.

Memorandum of Association

Following are some checklists for Society Registration in India:

1: The Memorandum of Association of the society along with Rules & Regulations of society must be signed by every establishing member, witness by Gazetted Officer, Notary Public, Chartered Accountant, Oath Commissioner, Advocate, Magistrate first-class or Chartered Accountant with their official stamping and complete address.

2: The memorandum must contain the name of the society and the object of the society. Also, it consists of details of members of the society registration along with their names, addresses, designations, and occupations. The following document has to be prepared, submitted, and signed for the sake of registration

3: Requesting society registration by providing a covering letter, signed by all establishing members.

4: Duplicate copy of Memorandum of Association of Society along with certified copy.

5: Duplicate copy of Rules & Regulations of society along with duplicate copy duly signed by all establishing members.

6: Address proof of registered office of society as well as no-objection certificate (NOC) issued by the landlord.

7: Affidavit avowed by secretary or president of society declaring relationship among subscribers

8: A few minutes of the meeting regarding the society registration along with providing some essential documents.

Why to go for Society Registration?

Society registration offers you a wide range of benefits that bring more ease to the operation of society. Such range of benefits include:

Legal StatusSociety upon registration receives the legal status of being a separate entity working in furtherance of a certain objective that is different from that of the personal interest of those operating it. Once registration is successful, Society enjoys all the benefits of a legal entity and an artificial person.

Access to fundsWhen society attains legal status in the market, it becomes convenient to access funds and investors as the registration creates authenticity and reliability of the society being original and not a hoax conduct.

Limited LiabilityLike many other forms of a company registered under the Companies Act, the registered society also holds a certain level of limited liability when it comes to debt recovery from its operators or employees running the operations.

Credibility & TrustRegistration of the society leads to the creation of trust and reliability in the market which brings the association of people. It is expected that there can be many such organizations operating for person dishonest interests, therefore, to segregate honest societies from the bunch of bogus ones, registration plays a crucial role.

Benefits & Tax ExemptionsSociety, being a legally separate entity operating for the welfare of the people, enjoy a wide range of benefits and tax exemptions offered by the government. However, these benefits and exemptions can only be availed if the society.