chapter one

my ears echoed unnecessarily loud as i pushed past the stupidly slow students through the hall. was there really a reason to be moving this slow on a friday? the day had already started off bad and i would just like it to be over by now so i could go home and practice for ballet and possibly binge the rest of my new netflix series i started. now, is that so much to ask?

i sighed as i finally made my way into my final class of the day.

i was a bit later than everyone else, but thats not really my fault seeing as how crowded the hallways get.

looking around the classroom i noticed taylor and ben sat close to the back, at least they were in my last class, and usually we all sat towards the back, mostly for me and ben since taylor liked sitting at the front most of the time but she'd made adjustments for us. so thats nice, i guess.

"hey, ash!" taylor smiled warmly while gesturing me to come over. i quickly made my way over as the teacher began his boring speech about who even knows what.

i rested my head in my hand as i picked up my pencil, the eraser nearly gone and the mechanical itself on its last life of lead it seemed. i clicked for a bit until i actually got some out, the noise irritating enough to make me realize i probably should replace the pencil sooner than later.

why did math have to be the last class of the day, god i hated math. well i wasn't terrible at it but i definitely wasn't the best, like logan or even taylor, she was oddly good at it, then again she was oddly good at everything she seemed to do. especially her mechanics class, she said i was better at ballet than she was with mechanics and whatever else she had done there, i mean yes i was good at ballet, but the way she did things made it look so effortless, and ballet is not effortless, but im sure that isn't either.

she would probably say i made it seem that way though, she has actually.

suddenly i felt a tap on my shoulder, i turned towards my right to see taylor smiling at me slightly, a nervous expression almost, i raised my brow in confusion, had i missed something? she looked down at my half done paper and furrowed her brows.

what is she looking at?

"you've been zoned out for a minute but uh did you need some help? you look a little lost." she whispered politely while offering her notes and to help with mine, i looked down at my paper,

i really hadnt done much of anything but then again there was still plenty of class left.

i clicked my mechanical one more time,

snap

oh great, i looked over to her and nodded a bit as i put the pencil back in my bag, i could just refill it later. "here i have a pencil you can borrow if you want? its not a mechanical but it works, and actually has a eraser." she chuckled lightly while offering the pencil, it was a normal wooden pencil with one of those rubber things at the top, and had a little bunny sticker right in the middle of it.

very fitting for her, for whatever reason.

"thanks." i nodded as i gently took the pencil from her hands, my finger slightly grazed hers in the process, her hand was warm and soft a odd feeling which was very short lived and for some reason, unexpected, you could tell just how warm her hands must've been just by holding the pencil itself, either that or it had simply been in her hand for a while.

yet it wasn't horribly sweaty or hot, it was warm and gentle enough to hold, almost like her.

i hated wooden pencils, but she had put the little soft rubber thing right where you hold it, making it not so bad.