1

Population Control-That's all this was, that's all it's ever been. A family can never have any more than two children. Any families that do must give up any children after the second child. The two children of the couples must find their soulmates at the age of sixteen. If their soulmate has been killed before they meet up, they must wait another year to get a new soulmate that would take their place. For Reina's elder brother that had happened twice already, she feared she'd share his curse of not being able to get her soulmate. So she dreaded the day she turned sixteen.

When she turned sixteen above her head there were two choices; How well you know your family or Mark to Mark. Her brother would always choose 'how well do you know your family'. So she chose to do the mark to mark just to see how she'd fair with it. When she chose the choice she saw she had a light purple mark on her hand which confused her as she saw above her head that she had a percentile above her head.

She got herself dressed before she left her room to see her elder brother. "Sup bro?"

"I wanted to see what you'd choose."

"Mark to Mark-I'm not dumb like you." She said before she went passed him

"Whatever-happy birthday brat." He said patted the top of her head

"Oi not the hair!" She said before she rushed down the stairs

When they got downstairs she went to hug her mother. "Morning ma'!"

"Morning sweetie, happy birthday. Did you get your choice yet?"

"Mhm, I chose Mark to Mark. I've seen statistically that couples are easily found and have a better time around one another than those that end up doing those questions."

Mark just flipped his sister off before he sat down at the table near their father. The duo's mother sighed out. "Well I do hope that soon both of you two will find your soulmates and you survive the population control games."

"I hope I do too ma." Reina said before she hugged her father as he was reading the paper. "Morning Papa."

"Morning hon. Looks like you're rather chipper today."

"Mhm, I truly want to be able to be with someone after being alone for so long."

"As long as you pick above Ninety-five percent you'll be good. Your mother and I chose the mark system and we matched Ninety-Eight percent and we've done rather well together."

Reina's green eyes lit up. "I'll keep that in mind papa!"

"Happy birthday Reina by the way. Let's hope you last the day."

Reina nodded her head in agreement, "Mhm!"

After they both ate breakfast they went to school where Reina was taken to a room to shake hands with males who had the light purple mark on their hands as well. She noticed she wasn't the only female who had the light purple mark on their hand. So she was fighting for the fittest. When she was told that she could begin she instantly went to Mark's Best friend Avery who was isolated away from the others.

She knelt down to where he was sitting and smiled at the male. "Mornin' Ave. Are you just gunna sulk all this time?" She teased

The raven haired male looked from his phone to her with a sigh "Why not? Twice I've been dealing with waiting for a soul mate due to them picking wrong and dying before they are even able to find me. This time I chose the markings and well...well I hoped I wouldn't be bothered."

"Well-that's not gonna happen." Reina said as she showed her mark on her hand

His eyes widened as he saw she had the same mark on her hand as he had on his. "Fuck...Alright kid, let's see if you and I are even compatible. It's said anyone who is compatible over ninety percent will end up working out well enough to leave out of here unscared." Avery said placing his hand out to her

She nodded her head and she placed her hand in his, they both looked over their heads to see '100%' over their heads. Both of them looked wide eyed as they realized just how compatible they were with one another. Avery got up and pulled her up with him. "Well shit-this is gonna be interesting. Your brother is gonna kill me when he finds this out."

"You're not the only one he's gonna kill though, he's warned me to stay as far as possible from you on many occasions." Reina said weakly

"Well...let's just get out of here while we still can." Avery said with a sigh as he got up

The duo went to two officials showing that they were a couple only for them to be approved and taken to a classroom. When they got to the classroom they saw that her brother was in the room as well with a female. When he saw the two of them come in together he went up to them skeptically. "What is this bull shit?" He asked

"Listen Jake, I know you've told both of us to stay away from one another but we matched 100% with one another." Avery said with his hands up

Jake looked at his sister who nodded her head agreeing with what Avery said, Jake let out a sigh before he rubbed between his eyes. "I had a feeling but I really didn't want it to be so. Well let's see how well this goes. Avery you better not make shit bad for my sister, I don't need her getting traumatized."

"I won't, I promise." Avery said with a grin

Jake then looked at Reina "You got lucky that I am best friends with your soulmate. Otherwise we'd have a problem."

"So...I'm okay?"

"For now, let's see how things go today."